We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled badge in the USA

onemadmum
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Disabled badge in the USA

I am going to Illinois in March and have a disabled badge, Does anyone know if there is a reciprocal agreement for disabled badge holders.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,838 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

Hi,

Based on how I read the law, ILCS, you would be entitled to the same privileges afforded those who hold and display a similar permit issued by the State of Illinois..

You can read the chapter of Illinois law that speaks to this matter here:

ilga.gov/legislation/…062500050K11-1301.1.htm

The language that appears to directly address your issue is at the end of the 4th line and in the 5th line of text.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 29 November 2010, 02:44
onemadmum
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

Many thanks for the information.

San Diego
Level Contributor
62 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

I'm not sure what a "disabled badge" is. You mean a parking placard? Please explain and I can help you better.

onemadmum
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

Hi there

Yes I think that is what I mean. In England we call it a disabled badge but it has the wheelchair sign on it. It helps me park near to the shops as I have difficulty in walking.

Many thanks

San Diego
Level Contributor
62 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

Oh yeah, then no problem. You can use it anywhere in the states. And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the good accessible parking in Illinois.

San Diego
Level Contributor
62 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

P.S. Remember that you can also park at meters for free and can park in green zones (time-limit zones) for as long as you want. Just stay away from yellow (commercial) and red (emergency) zones.

onemadmum
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

Many thanks for that info. I have been trying for ages to get it. There is no info on the embassy site. I can now go and see my son and know I do not have to walk miles to get to the shops. Once again many thanks

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

I wonder if you could help with info on how to get a visitors Disabled Parking Badge for a trip to the UK. Thanks!

9. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 October 2011, 01:35
onemadmum
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Disabled badge in the USA

Hi You would need to write to the local council o the town you are visiting in the UK. You might have to send a copy of you parking permit but they would advise you on what to do. Let me know which town you will be staying in and I will try to find the address for you.