We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

Amersham
Level Contributor
8 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

I want to find our next holiday destination and would apprceiate any suggestions. Because of my MS I cant take to much heat so above 28C and I dont walk too well or too far!

So here's the wish list. We want a place simply to relax. In preferrence we'd like something that stays dry most of the time - that's dry weather not lacking good wine! Has some interesting "sights", good eating and again drinking and has some quality/good value hotels, And not hilly so walking/biking becomes an option for me. And if any of that is possible short haul from the UK that's a bonus!

Thanks for any and all ideas.

John

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

OK

Temp approx 28 degrees

fairly flat but not too spread out

You don't mention what time of year you are looking for

check out temperature mapping for

Cyprus, Egypt, the Caribbean in Winter MAY fit the bill with what you want around January / February times and the prices are a little lower at that time too. Would rule out part of Gran Canaria but not all of it (Puerto Rico is a no) and again some parts of other Canaries and the Balearics are similarly challenging

I would do searches using a few travel agencies and Google Earth to assess what access / egress is like and my personal preferences of Accuweather and Weather Underground to find what the weather is possibly going to be like

Hope that's a useful start for you -- for a while I'm going to be here as opposed to wandering due to illness so any more questions I will try to help you out

Gray

the Wanderer

Amersham
Level Contributor
8 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

Thanks for the ideas Gray.

I should have of course mentioned that we are constrained by school holidays and need a destination in particular for August.

John

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

School Holidays ---AAARRRGGHHHHHHH.............................................

The best places to go (in MY opinion) are all best suited to your needs outside of School holiday time

But have you considered something like Eurocamp / Matthews / Keycamp holidays in the South of France either in a static or tent and drive down to the Mediterranean, with an arranged stop-over on the way that way you would get 2-3 weeks of vacation and have your own transport to tour round the areas

Gray

The Wanderer

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

First place that came to mind was San Diego, California. In August average high is 25°C and low about 19°C and the climate is semi-arid. Although it can get to 32°C that would not be typical and prevailing winds are off ocean. Along the water there are plently of flat areas. And of course California wines. Although a fairly long flight.

Similarly Seattle, Washington has its dry season in August (later is better) and only occasionally hits 30°C or above. Only problem is that parts of that area are very hilly. The town of Sequim, WA across Puget Sound is quite flat along the water and has a great climate. Also Washington wines are very good. Across the Strait in Canada the city of Victoria has the same climate and relatively flat walking at Butchart Gardens.

Another option might be Bermuda which is very temperate and mostly very flat except right along the water in some places. Although when we visited in 2008 their public bus service was very wheelchair unfriendly but I have heard that has changed since and they are more attuned to disability issues. . Lots of nice hotels although value could be a question. Closer to UK and there may well be direct flights.

Amersham
Level Contributor
8 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

Thanks Sequim and Gray for further thoughts.

I think US might come back into the options! :}

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

Possibly look at Santa Fe New Mexico, Durango Colorado, Flagstaff Arizona, Jackson Wyoming, Bozeman Montana. Just some ideas in the US that may work for you.

Amersham
Level Contributor
8 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

US might be a too far for us I'm afraid - never really cracked doing long haul. But the Azores is looking quite tempting!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

hazy,just wondering how you go with drinkig alcohol with your MS?

I find that it totally makes me feel 1000percent worse.

But agree re needing a dry temperate destination.

Very sad for me that my destination expert location is known for humidity,which does inflame my MS,but,I find ways around it,as I just love the weather and the area too much.

Hope youre keeping well,and not letting the MS beat you.

Amersham
Level Contributor
8 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

lilyana - well I try to avoid beer and anything too acidic most dry white wines and sparkling wines.

I'm interested in how you manage with high humidity.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
244 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is a great, dry, temperate destination?

Hazy_amersham and lilyana Well you guys might find coping with humidity and alcohol differently

I would like to know too, not because I have MS, but as a nurse who looks after elder folk who need to be given coping strategies to help them, and it also helps them realise we do know how they are feeling and may be able to help them

so any info is good for me

Regards

Gray

the Madcaravanner