We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with limited vision

MN
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling with limited vision

I'm new here so I apologize if this topic has been covered somewhere else. I am not finding a lot of information that relates to those of us with vision issues.

To try to provide some context for my question, I basically have enough vision to get myself into trouble. I like to travel independently and I can see well enough to navigate in a downtown area and find a location if I know where it is. For things like shopping I find that other customers and the employees of stores are generally helpful and actually enjoy providing input into what I should buy. I don't get a lot from bus tours but do enjoy walking tours if the guide provides interesting commentary.

I would be interested in any ideas for potential trips from folks here. For example, I am considering a long weekend in New Orleans. (Yes, I will explore the New Orleans forum here.) I used to visit New Orleans fairly regularly years ago, but I haven't been since Katrina and I had better vision then. But there's a lot of stuff for me to do there (I hope) including some of the best food on the planet.

So if anyone else here is in the same "spot" as me, please share. And even if you're not, I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Robin

australia
Level Contributor
887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with limited vision

Hi I don't know if this would be revelate to you but my Husband is blind. Since going blind he loves going to Thailand each year. We have been to Phuket 3 times and Krabi once. Next year we are returning to Krabi for a month. We go in low season so the crowds aren't as bad. We always hire a private tour operater although you pay more we find it's worth it, they speak good english so they can explain things to him. He found Krabi very easy to move around Kata is good but Patong was difficult, he uses a cane. Singapore is another easy place to negotiate. We find the airlines very helpful they get us through customs etc and transfers are very easy. Have been to Malaysia as well but he prefers Thailand the best. Hope I haven't gone on go enjoy holidays as most people are respectful and helpful of your situation Beryl

MN
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with limited vision

Thanks for the suggestion. I'l admit that I had not considered something as exotic as Thailand. Maybe when I build my confidence a bit with other trips and find someone to travel with, that will be a more attractive option. I was there many years ago and did have a great time, and the prices cannot be beat.

Again, thanks for the input. I couldn't even find this forum today from the main page, so I wonder if TripAdvisor has effectively discontinued it.

australia
Level Contributor
887 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with limited vision

No its still there if you go to forum home then on the right side under beyond desinations down about half way you will see travelling with disabilities. I wish you all the best in your travels. Beryl

MN
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with limited vision

Yes, I found the forum. I thought I was on the forum home page but was not. Unfortunately, it seems about as dead as before.

5. Re: Traveling with limited vision

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 10:48
Get answers to your questions