We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canceling hotel resv made via booking.com due to NYC Protest

Maine
1 post
Save Topic
Canceling hotel resv made via booking.com due to NYC Protest

This was a non refundable booking in Manhattan. I contacted the booking.com but they denied my request for refund. It's for tonight (Friday) and Satruday. I've read that they are planning another protests tonight and possibly Saturday also. Since I will be driving there with my elderly father (80 yrs old) after work (can't get out early), it really isn't safe to travel. I was hoping that they will give us the refund (or at least credit) in this special circumstance. Anybody has idea what I should do?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,559 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canceling hotel resv made via booking.com due to NYC Protest

A non refundable booking is just that.. non-refundable. If you have your own travel insurance policy, you could check the terms and conditions to see what provision ( if any) exisits for cancellation.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,573 posts
6,438 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canceling hotel resv made via booking.com due to NYC Protest

First, it is important to note that your non-refundable agreement is not with www.booking.com but with the hotel itself. If you read up on www.booking.com terms & conditions, which are accessible through the main homepage, it is made very clear that they serve as the transaction facilitator only. They don't charge customers directly, don't collect payments nor do they have a say in what a hotel might or might not do in regard to your non-refundable reservation with a NYC area hotel.

Second, what you can do is contact the hotel directly, since they are the party that you have a reservation agreement with. Unfortunately, by agreeing a non-refundable reservation arrangement, it remains within the hotel's contractual rights to charge you for the room and not offer you a refund. However, I would still contact them and see if they might be willing to work with you, given the situation. You never know what might happen, especially if you are kind, polite and not emotional or rude to them over the phone. While there are no guarantees for a refund in your situation, hotel managers can be reasonable about things like this.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canceling hotel resv made via booking.com due to NYC Protest

Absolutely agree with what has already been mentioned, but if local feedback is accurate, I suspect you may have difficulty challenging the hotel

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k7966…

4. Re: Canceling hotel resv made via booking.com due to NYC Protest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 02:13
5. Re: Canceling hotel resv made via booking.com due to NYC Protest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2015, 10:46
Get answers to your questions