We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

Ithaca, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

Hi All,

We are looking to take a 3 or 4 week break somewhere we have not been before. We are looking to travel for the month of August this year so we are trying to book something up in the next few weeks.....

We are torn between traveling around Asia, such as Bali, Thailand etc... and maybe stopping over in Tokyo for a night or two. OR heading down to South America to do the Inca Trail and Rio etc.

The above ideas are not set and we are open to suggestions. Basically we want to be able to relax for a week or so somewhere nice - beautiful beaches easy living etc. and then spend a week or two touring about seeing the culture and life in the area. We are pretty robust to getting about and the only concern would be the food as my wife is a gluten free vegetarian - with some fish!

I feel we are leaning more towards Asia at the moment but would be happily persuaded otherwise if it is worth it! Also is safety a concern in either of these places? We are savvy travelers but you always hear stories from both of these regions..

This will be our chance to really travel about before work kicks in for both of us.

Let me know what you think!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
6,434 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

My opinion is highly biased due to not having spent much time in South America but having traveled extensively throughout SE Asia and having to much of the rest of Asia so take my recommendation for Asia with this in mind.

Asia offers you the widest range of culture, attraction types, cuisine, geographic terrain and types of people you can find in the world. With 3-4 weeks you would need to concentrate your area of focus and it seems you have rightly done so by targeting classic destinations like Bali and Thailand. Others you might want to consider are Vietnam, which is more exotic, Malaysia, which is more laid back. However, for first time visitors to Asia, you really can't go worth with spending a month in Thailand, which has a great balance of culture, attractions, beaches, cities and some of the best food in the world. Plus, Thailand is very affordable . You can easily add some time in Tokyo or Bali if this is something that interests you as well.

I would suggest doing a bit of research on these countries on the respective forums for Thailand, Bali, Japan, Vietnam, etc. Do the same for countries you might be interested in visiting in South America as well.

Also, if you are interested in some other past discussions on this topic, there are some you can look up here on Tripadvisor. From the Tripadvisor homepage, just type in 'south america vs. asia' and you'll find at least 3000 posts on forums that are related or similar to this subject. See search find results.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=south+america+or+asia&sub-search=SEARCH&geo=1&pid=3826&returnTo=__2F__#ssrc=f,o=10,c=global

It seems this question has come up a couple times on the Solo Travel and/or Budget Travel forums as well. These would be good places to research and/or ask this question as well as there are some very seasoned travellers supporting those forums.

Good luck with your research and hope you enjoy your holiday.

Ithaca, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

Awesome! Thank you for your reply. This is my first time negotiating forums for this sort of advice. I am glad we are on the right track and I will definitely make use of the other postings too! Thanks again!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
6,434 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

No problem. Enjoy your time on TA and hope you benefit from the resources here as much as we have over the years.

Cannock, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

Hi can I ask have you and your wife ever done turkey all inclusive, my daughter is coeliac and we want to try going all inclusive instead of self catering, or do you have any tips for travelling abroad with gluten free

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
6,434 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

Hello Gail E,

Best to ask separate questions, using the Ask a question button found below this post or at the top of the forum. This way visitors to this forum can better find and offer you their thoughts.

However, this said, for specific research and questions about Turkey specifically, I'd suggest posting on the Turkey forum. Here is a link if useful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293969-i367-Turke…

Hope you find the information you are looking for.

6. Re: Asia vs South America for August travel?? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 09:46