We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China

Broken Hill...
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
China

We are planning a trip to china visiting Shanghai Bejing Guila Xian Yangshou among others. We will be travelling for three weeks and wondering about a budget. How much do I need? Is there certain items that are really cheap in China?

We have all our accomodation transfers most tours and breakfasts prepaid.

We would eat at moderately priced resturants or cafes with the occasional splurge.

We are travelling with another couple but am budgeting for my Husband and I.

Also is it better to change money at the airport or in the streets in Bejing which is our first stop.

Any tips what to see etc would also be helpful.

We are also doing the three day Yahnzee river cruise.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China

G'day bundy,

Broken Hill to China, that's long trip!

Very fortunate you posted here, you'll get great advice from BradJill - DE here and a local there to boot.

You might also want to post your question on the destination forum for China, to see if you can get some more bits and pieces from other locals.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g294211-i642-Ch…

Have a great time

Edited: 11 May 2013, 09:47
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
6,377 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China

Hello bundy255318,

Bare in mind the China is quite wide so you'll need to do some research on the various areas of China you intend to visit. Also, China can be quite difficult to navigate around if you don't know Mandarin so signing up for a tour of the country is a very common way to visit compared to independent travel like we usually suggest for many places around the world.

I would definitely recommending spending some time on the Beijing and Shanghai TA forums in order to do some research and to post your questions for those cities specifically. They are supported quite actively by local DEs. Xian and Yangshou forums, I'm not sure what sort of responses you'll get.

Best of luck on your research on China and hope you enjoy your travels there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China

Hi Bundy,

My wife and I are also doing a three week tour of China, leaving on 18 Oct and our itinerary looks to be the same as yours. I would therefore really be very grateful if you can share any info you may obtain in this regard, as we also have so many as yet unanswered questions about the best modus operandi for a variety of issues. Sure you are also looking forward as we do!!

Regards, Mike

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
6,377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China

Michiel G

Welcome to the Holiday Travel forum

Do make sure you visit the China travel forums here on Tripadvisor as well. Much good advice you can pick up from our local destination experts on those forums. Here is the link if helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294211-i642-China…

Happy travels in China.

Broken Hill...
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China

Hi Mike, I haven't really got much more info. We arrive back 17th Sept. so I will message you after that. One thing I learned from these forums is avoid the tea ceremony's they end up costing $250. Also be careful booking Yahnzee river cruises I know people who would not go on the ships as they were really disgusting. Apparently the European company's are fine. Have a great time. We leave tomorrow.

Xi'an China
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: China

You have so many questions,I do not know how to answer and start from where ? I am in xi'an , close terra cotta museum , so if you need help, pls contact me, 15109231455@139.com, best wishes.

7. Re: China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 11:52