We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time travel

Perth
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time travel

HI, Haven't done this before, so hope I'm in the right place.

We're from Australia and am planning a trip with my teenage daughter (just the 2 of us) to the US and Canada and ths is my first trip overseas. Would appreciate some advice on the intensity of our itinerary, as I'm wondering if I've packed too much in and maybe should keep it simple.

We will be travelling end Dec to end Jan 2012/2013, beginning with a week in LA, train to SF for 4 nights, flight to Portland for 3 nights, flight to Vancouver BC for 3 nights, coach to Whistler for 3 nights, then flight to NY for 7 nights and back to LA to head home again.

Is this too much for first timers??/ I'm concerned about the constant travel in between cities, not just by plan, but coach and train as well as the changing climates (warmer LA to cooler Canada and NY!!!) and hence all the luggage.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

thanks so much

Lisa

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time travel

Hi Lisa,

I haven't been in Canada so won't be able to help you much there, when I went to the states the first time I flew in to Seattle in January knowing that I would be going skiing and also planning to go south to SF and LA. I had 2 massive bags with me going there, some were presents to relatives I was staying with but still... When packing the car to go on a road trip I ended up only packing a quarter of what I brought with me and I still had more than enough for going skiing in the north and laying on the beach in LA so I can promise if it's your first trip, you've probably over packed...

When it comes to the time I think it might feel a little bit stressed for you, especially if it's your first trip overseas. And with flights jumping here and there, it always takes longer than you think, being there in plenty of time for your flight, security checks, delays, ques in and out...

LA is not my favorite place but there is still so much to do there, Walk of fame, shopping in Hollywood, Universal studios, all the movie studios like WB, you can get free tickets to Jay Leno show but this takes all day. All of these things are in Burbank/Hollywood and then you got everything else in LA as well...

San Francisco is my all time favorite place to be, I have been there 6 times now and I can still not go there and not stay for any shorter than a week. First time I was there we had planned 3 nights, we stayed 12...

NY, I was there in March after 9/11 and it was a horrible experience walking around close to ground zero, but otherwise it's a very nice city. Expensive but, nice. NY is freezing cold when it hits but I usually manage with layer on layer making sure to have a coat that stops the wind.

Everything that you might forget or can't fit into your bags you can buy there so don't worry to much, you need to make sure there is a little bit of room for shopping as well. You will absolutely love the states, there is so much to do and see and I can't wait to go back.

I hope this helped you a little.

E

Perth
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time travel

Hi E,

This has been very helpful as I now think I will try to underpack and make sure we have plenty of room and it isn't too heavy lugging everything around. Glad to hear SF is lovely, we will definitely have to stop there.

Can I ask you how one should dress for NY in the Summer months - how cold does it get and exactly how many layers should I wear???

Thanks,

L

3. Re: First time travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:14
Get answers to your questions