We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

2 posts
Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

Hello I need some help.

My husband turns 45 this year and I an desperately wanting to plan a surprise trip for him. I have already told him we are doing a 10-13 day road trip so he thinks its in our state!

I have been vacillating between Scotland and Iceland. I literally can not chose between the two and I am wanting some help deciding by getting real feedback from people!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

I've never been to Scotland, although I really want to, but did go to Iceland a couple of years ago. I'd definitely recommend it. We only went for 4 days, but did hire a car and stayed out in the country side pretty much in the middle of nowhere, which was beautiful. We also did a day trip around the Snaefellsjokull glacier area, seeing the black beach, going in the lava tunnels etc, there's loads to see in the area. Reykjavik was also incredible. We did the Golden Circle too, which was amazing. Its really is my favourite country in the world, even though I can't cope with the tiniest bit of cold ;) The driving was easy, and you seem so beautiful sights. Obviously over the winter, driving might not be great in certain areas, but you have a chance of seeing the Northern Lights in the winter months.

What month are you thinking of going? If you're coming from the US (I'm guessing as you said about your state), could you possibly do both countries? Maybe 5 or 6 days in each? We saw plenty in 4 days in Iceland, but there was plenty more to see so its not like you'd be stuck to fill the time, but if you could find a cheap flight between the 2 countries then it might be worth considering. Then you wouldn't have to choose :)

Like I said, I've never been to Scotland, but I'd love to go so I kind of understand why you're stuck between the two even though I'm in love with Iceland!

Hope that helps a little, sorry it was a bit of an essay!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,969 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

I've been to Scotland and love it - but not been to Iceland

So this is not helping.

What time of year might.........

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6,583 reviews
3. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

Chelsea B,

Where are you located and traveling from? This might help responders with additional thoughts and suggestions for you.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
182 reviews
4. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

Hello Chelsea B

If you are coming from the US (you mentioned state) you could possibly incorporate a stop in Iceland and then onto Scotland which would be my choice.

Iceland is a much larger area to cover than Scotland which we did a 15 day road trip a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it offered just the right mix of natural beauty, quiet serenity with a nice mix of city stops with all they offer, you can get an idea from this old thread .. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18653…

I was also going to suggest you post on the Road Trips forum here on TA but I see you already have and are receiving some solid feedback

So in a nutshell I guess my vote goes toward Scotland hope this helped and good luck with your trip research

SEBESZ

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

I've driven in Scotland. Quite a few years ago now. Hired a car for a few days. Started in Oban, up through Glencoe, Fort William, Inverness, up to John O'Groats, across the top and wandered my way back to Oban. Very pleasant. I tended to stay in small hotels and guesthouse in smaller towns. Wonderful scenery. I was travelling on my own, so it was enjoyable, though a bit unnerving driving through more remote areas by myself.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

The Visit Scotland website has good driving routes and itineraries -

https:/…

https:/…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6,583 reviews
7. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

Further thought..

As you are asking about a road trip, do bare in mind that you will drive on the (left side) of the road in Scotland and (right side) in Iceland. Not sure if this will impact your decision or not.

8. Re: Scotland vs Iceland Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2018, 09:47