We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Megabus.com, which already operates low-cost coach (bus) services within the UK, USA and Canada, is launching three new routes in Europe:

Birmingham - London - Boulogne - Paris

Leicester - London - Brussels - Amsterdam

Paris - Brussels - Amsterdam

Bookings, which can only be made online, are now open and the first services start on 16th April. Fares start from just £1 + 50p booking fee.

stagecoach.com/media/…2012-03-07.aspx

Northeast, PA
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Did you change buses at Victoria Station? or were you able to

keep your original seat or did you need to move/change?

Is it a double decker bus?

Did you need to do any disembarking/passport control at Dover or Calais?

Regarding the seat declining, would it be helpful

to buy 2 tix so you could stretch out/lay down across to get some sleep

(with those prices, it would seem worth it).

Please let us know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thx

Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Hi, stacey b.

To be honest, I am not sure about it. I think normal "trip amendment & cancellation policy" on Megabus will apply. I do not want you to be in trouble by giving wrong information.

When I was getting on the coach from Birmingham, the driver checked my booking reference number as usual. When we arrived at Victoria coach station, we (all passengers including those who were travelling to Paris continously) were asked to get off the coach WITH our luggage, and instructed to go to Departure gate for check-in and re-join the queue for boarding with other passengers who came from other parts of the UK. When we were getting on the coach again (Same coach and same driver from Birmingham), the driver checked the booking reference number and boarding pass which was given at check-in.

That's all what happened at Victoria coach station.

Sorry that I cannot give you a clear answer. I hope it will give you some idea for your trip.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 15:20
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Hi. jeff101d

Regarding changing coach, please see my reply to "Stacey b" above. Because of the reasons mentioned above, you cannot keep your seat at Victoria coach station.

Unfortunately, it is not a double-decker bus nor an extra long coach. It is a normal sized coach.

At Dover and Calais, you need to get off the coach for immigration and passport control, but the driver will give you a clear explanation at the time.

Yes, it may be a good idea to buy an extra seat to stretch your leg, but as I mentioned in my first message, my coach on both journeys were not full, and I managed to have an extra seat with no additional cost (but no guarantee that the coach is NOT always full). Even if you buy an extra seat, there is no guarantee that the seat next to you will be free, as passengers can find seat anywhere on the coach (seat cannot be reserved, same as no-frill airlines).

I hope it helps.

Northeast, PA
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

thanx so much for the info.

does the immigration and passport control process

take long?

we were hoping to get some sleep on the overnight bus.

no problem sleeping on buses, trains, planes, etc

however, if we're woken up every 2-3 hours, Megabus

is looking like a less viable option. please do let us know. thx again.

Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Hi. jeff101d

In my case, it did not take time at all to go through the immigration/passport control even though I had non-EU passport (less than 10min each time outbound/inbound). All passengers including British were asked to get off the coach, go through immigration/passport control, and back on the coach. You will not be left behind the coach unless you are refused to enter into the country. The driver counts passenger number each time.

If you have had an overnigh coach service before and managed to get some sleep, your trip this time should be fine. It was the first time for me to take an overnight service, and had thought that it would be same as overnight flight. But reality was completely different for me. Because of road surface, roundabout, break/acceleration at all times, you will have a constant vibration/shake/movement, and I could not have almost any sleep whole night at all (other passengers seemed to have some or good sleep). Also, we had to wake up to go through immigration/passport control and get on a ferry (no passengers were allowed to stay on the coach during ferry crossing, and had to go to cabin to stay). Thus, I definately will not take an overnight coach journey in the future. I recommend to have a day-service if you can (you can enjoy scenery too from coach and ferry if travelling in daytime!).

I hope it helps.

Northeast, PA
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

So the approximate timing would be:

9:30pm Leave London

12:00am Arrive Dover

12:00am-2:00am UKBorderControl, Ferry, FranceBorderControl

2:00am Depart Calais

6:30am(London Time) arrive Paris (would be 7:30am Paris time)

We'd have no problem staying up until 2am but it looks like it would really only allow for about 4½ hrs of sleep (Calais-Paris) with a stop in Boulogne (so it could actually be even less than that).

Thanx so very much for all the help so far.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 03:32
Reading, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Hi I am taking the Megabus London to Paris, I just wanted to ask how is the food and toilet facilities around Port de Malliot Coach station.

Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Hi Ashley P

Port de Malliot Coach station is very different from Victoria coach station. The coach station is outside and there is a roof only where they sell ticket to airport shuttle bus. I did not see any toilet facilities there, but maybe I just missed it? There is no shop to buy food or drink at the coach station, so I suggest you to buy something before you get to the coach station (there are many bakery shops in Paris, some around the coach station.

Auckland Region...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Hi jeff101d

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that French border control actually takes place in Dover before boarding the ferry. This is because there is an agreement between France and the UK whereby French border checks take place in Dover before boarding and, in the other direction, UK border checks take place in Calais before boarding.

Go to this link (http://twitpic.com/8m1wgf) to look at the passport stamp issued by the French in Dover before boarding.

Which means more sleep as you won't need to go through any formalities when you disembark in Calais ;)

Have a safe trip! :)

(When I travelled by coach (though not on Megabus) from Dover to Calais in October 2011, our coach was waved through at Dover on the outbound journey, so no immigration and customs checks at all. On the return journey from Calais to Dover, again our coach was waved through by the French at Calais, though the UK Border Agency officers came onto the coach and looked at passports before boarding. However, in light of the recent Brodie Clark 'scandal', you'll almost certainly have to get off the coach at UK border control in Calais and have your passport checked at their desk.)

Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Megabus expands into Europe - London-Paris-Brussel-Amsterdam

Hi Ricky2012

Thank you for your additional information. Yes, you are right. French boarder on the way from Dover to Paris is at Dover side, before getting on the ferry. So, we do not need to get off the coach after reaching to Calais.

On the way back from Paris to London was similar. We had to get off the coach at Calais before boarding on the ferry, went to French Boader control in one room, and then went to next room for UK boarder control, and then returned to the coach.

Have a nice trip to all.