We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

Has anyone else had issues using Hotels.com and W Hotels?

My partner and I booked a room for a number of nights at the W hotel in NYC only to find out a few days before our trip that the hotel had been sold and was now trading as the Maxwell. When we called Hotels.com to explain that we only wanted to stay at a W Hotel, Hotels.com responded with -

"Thank you for your patience regarding your cancellation request. I regret to inform you that the hotel will not be able to cancel this booking without penalty as per the policy. In accordance to the hotel's policy, a full penalty will be charged. Rest assured, we have exerted all our effort to seek waiver but unfortunately we are unsuccessful this time. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.

Once again, thank you for choosing to do business with us. If you need further assistance, please call our customer care."

Has anyone else had issues like this with Hotels.com? It seems very unfair to sell hotels for one hotel group (the W Hotel) and then switch the hotel to a totally different operator without offering guests the option to cancel. We have never heard of the Maxwell and only made a booking because we wanted to stay at a W Hotel and we certainly didn't want to stay anywhere other than a W Hotel!

Edited: 06 August 2018, 11:05
15 replies to this topic
tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

Hotels.com has less than zero to do with the hotel changing owners.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

I agree with Kitap it has nothing to do with Hotels.com

That said, your reservation WAS with W, so you should contact the new management directoy and discuss the matter.

Hotels.com can only enforce the business OTB’s that’s been handed over

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
124 reviews
3. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

I wouldn't worry too much. It's still the same hotel - they won't have changed much in the first few months.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,912 posts
2,415 reviews
4. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

I do sympathise with the OP.

They want to stay at the W but it is going to be rebranded. It is not the hotel they booked!

Of course things might have been different if they had booked directly via Starwood/Marriott.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

That part is understandable, but the question remains. How is any of the situation the fault or trouble caused by, or resolvable by Hotels.com?

It’s not.

So the complaint toward Hotels.com is entirely not legitimate, and sympathy should not be justification for slapping whatever they feel like on the internet

Edited: 07 August 2018, 06:30
Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

Hotels.com sold the accommodation, didn’t notify us of the change in hotels and in any case they have the funds and should offer the refund. If you buy a Mazda are you going to be ok if you’re delivered a Ford without explanation? No. You would expect a refund. This situation is unacceptable to me as a consumer and I don’t appreciate comments from people who suggest I don’t have the right to discuss it on the internet, I have no other recourse and the same rights as you who choose to make comments

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

The cause was not the fault of Hotels.com

It doesn’t matter whether you appreciate it or not, Hotels.com is NOT the supplier. And the example you gave is a poor one. The distributors in the hotel industry are not responsible for the delivery or the correctness of supply.

Nobody on this thread said that you have to accept it, we merely pointed out it’s not the FAULT of Hotels.com. It’s about correctly assigning blame.

Your contract was with the hotel, who no longer exists. Have you contacted the new management to state you wish to cancel the agreement you had with the previous management? Have you made enquiries with your CC provider?

Edited: 07 August 2018, 07:27
Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

Yes we have, and the hotel then diverted us back to Hotels.com. Hotels.com then quoted the hotel policy (this is the policy of new hotel, the Maxwell, that we never intended to book, nor stay at) to say that they would not be refunding our money. Unfortunately the only business that we have ever had any dealings with directly is Hotels.com. Hotels.com are responsible for -

1. selling us the accommodation at the W hotel

2. neglecting to inform us that the business had been sold

3. deciding that they were not prepared to refund our money (and they didn't even offer us a credit!)

4. quoted the refund policy of a business (the Maxwell hotel) who we have never even heard of as justification for not offering a refund

I can't imagine under any circumstances how this is acceptable. I understand you are trying to assist here however I will not ever accept that this is not the fault of Hotels.com. The W have sold that particular part of their business so it doesn't exist. We don't have a contract with the new business owners, the Maxwell, so it's if difficult to see how there would be any recourse with them either. That leaves Hotels.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

I never said it was acceptable, but blaming the wrong party isn’t going to solve anything, and mislead others.

1. Hotels.com is not selling anything. It’s the advertising platform and any information loaded is by the hotel.

2. Hotels.com can only advise information forwarded by the hotel themselves. Which they can only do if the hotel advises them on a timely manner

3. Hotels.com can only follow directives by the hotel. All enforcement of ANY policy - right or wrong - is the doing of the hotel.

4. This is the perfect example of the hotel trying to pass-the-buck

What the hotel is telling you and doing, is utter rubbish. They have the discretion and absolute final word in whether they enforce the cancellation and refund.

I would suggest you approach your CC company

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels

Hotels change ownership all the time. It's beyond unrealistic to expect hotels.com to contact people to let them know.

Reply to: Trouble with Hotels.com and W Hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted