We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
660 reviews
Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Made a booking for Hôtel de la Loire in Paris two weeks a go. Paid my booking at Booking.com, because I thought it would be convenient and hassle free.

When arriving at the hotel late at the evening, the receptionist said the booking wasn't paid. I tried to explain and showed him the e-mail (which was in Dutch, as if a French person could read that), but he said he did not receive any payment. So, I paid. But it didn't feel good. Checked my credit card bill later and there it was: a double charge.

Raised an issue with Booking.com with all necessary details. Received a notification that they would get back to me in 48 hours. But no response what so ever. Sent an e-mail to customer service, no response. Sent an e-mail to the hotel, no response.

I'm very unhappy about this bad level customer service. I know Booking.com doesn't handle payments by hotels, but not taking at any action or responding at all is unacceptable.

Strange thing: end of June I've made booking for a hotel in London which had to be paid upfront. No problems at all. But now I have the feeling my money is gone. I'm never paying upfront for Booking.com. Might even consider to limit my use, because Booking.com does not always offer the hassle free service they promise. And this level of bad customer service is appalling.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

16 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,222 posts
478 reviews
1. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Don't mess about any more with the agent or the hotel. Simply get your card provider involved.

In my view, Booking.com can't really do anything, as the double charge is by the hotel. While it would be nice if they would get involved and contact th ehotel on your behalf, they are pretty powerless when it comes to actually achieving anything. Unlike a credit card provider, who are also jointly liable when things go wrong.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
660 reviews
2. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Good one. Already downloaded the appropriate from for my MasterCard. But one would expect some level of service from Booking.com, though. They offer a dispute service, but it's useless.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,371 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Solid advice from RB.

Unfortunate that a poorly handled reservation at the hotel should inconvenience you like that. There are a number of reasons why this occurred, and two most likely are that it was an inexperienced receptionist, or the reservation was not entered correctly in their hotel system and showed up as a Pay-At-The-Hotel reservation.

The dispute ‘system’ with Booking.com is that of mediation, not as an authority figure. So aside from trying to communicate, should the hotel drag their feet about it, there is absolutely nothing Booking.com can do to control merchant services of a hotel.

So RB is spot on, I’d dispute the charge with your CC provider also

Also for future reference, Booking.com has the option to print out confirmation in the local language of the hotel. This can be done any time by going back into Manage My Bookings

Edited: 03 August 2018, 05:07
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
660 reviews
4. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Cheers!

As soon as my credit card bill is downloadable, I will raise an issue. Funny enough I cancelled a paid hotel reservation in Brussels today and got a message from payments at Booking.com, prompting that I will get a full refund.

It's still funny when you consider Booking.com has upgraded me to a genius user. Giving me the feeling that I'm a very important customer. Offering my hassle free reservations, et cetera. Whereas they're nothing more than a market place for hotel bookings that do not handle payments on behalf of hotels. I do wonder what could be the case with the booking system not giving a prompt that I paid to the hotel receptionist. The guy running the hotel in Paris isn't a newbie, he's been doing that for quite a long while. Nevertheless and like I said: I will not be paying upfront for any reservation through Booking.com any more.

Thanks for replying and your kind advise!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,371 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Chances of the wrong booking *type* being sent to the hotel is extremely rare. It’s much much more likely the reservation was misread/mishandled at the hotel than an electronic error at Booking.com’s end.

That being the case - and the guy running the hotel not being ‘new’ to the game - would make me question the integrity of that person (and the hotel).

Most reputable hotels would question the payment process first, before inconveniencing the guest - especially if they have your CC details on file provided at checkin. Any issues and the amount can be charged later.

Well, it’s no consolation, but now his hotel will have to deal with dispute paperwork

Edited: 03 August 2018, 11:05
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
660 reviews
6. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

My point exactly. If you’re concerned with customer service as a hotel. This isn’t the right thing to do. I would even call this dodgy, since the only thing the hotel has to do is credit my payment. Instead they’re taking my money and playing stupid. That really annoys me. So I’ve written quite a negative review on TA. Second time in that hotel after two years. Gave it a second chance afer a negative experience in 2016. But no in can conclude the service at this hotel really is bad.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,222 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Anyone can make a mistakie, but the chances of a genuine mistake being made with the same customer twice in two years seem remote to me. So I share your suspicions about the owner.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
854 posts
266 reviews
8. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Your credit card company will dispute the charge quicker and easier than anyone else. With my credit card that is also my bank, I just have to log in to the site, click the charge, then select dispute. Immediately the money is refunded without question. Then the bank goes to work to investigate the issue. Usually this involves notifying the hotel to get a verified signed receipt. If this is not available they uphold the dispute. If the hotel can show proof of a correct charge, the credit card company will send this to you and ask you to explain further.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
74,222 posts
478 reviews
9. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Alan is right. Getting your car dprovider involved should be quick and easy. If it isn't, get a new card from a different provider!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
660 reviews
10. Re: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel

Thanks, RojBlake. Will get my card issuer in as soon as possible. I have to hand in some proof that I tried to contact the hotel to get this matter sorted, so I just sent them another, final e-mail.

Reply to: Hotel double charged: no response from Booking.com or hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions