We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair Warning.. Scam

Fair Warning.. Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2018, 04:30

11 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,476 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

LOL. One of the funniest posts I’ve read in a long time

First off, in your hast to post a useless inaccurate rant, you’ve forgotten to mention the OTA which you booked through.

Secondly, through the rookie error of a hotel receptionist, you’ve received an invoice detailing the amount of commission paid.

Well guess what, it’s not you who paid, it’s the hotel. It’s the hotel who had yielded a lesser nett rate, not you.

It’s not a scam, every hotel in the world pays commissions to OTA’s, but it’s just that you stayed in one stupid enough to reveal it.

So vent your anger at the hotel

Edited: 02 August 2018, 20:11
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,648 posts
2. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

I am betting Agoda

3. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2018, 04:30
Edited: 05 August 2018, 04:30

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,476 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

LOL and it keeps getting funnier

Why does it matter? Have you stop to even think what you’re posting?

YOU were the one who posted a warning. Who are you warning people from? If you don’t name them, how can people be warned?

Just because the hotel paid $30 commission, doesn’t necessarily mean that your room rate would have been $30 less if they didn’t.

What you think OTA’s operate for free?

You really should learn how the system works before you make a fool of yourself further

Edited: 02 August 2018, 20:48
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
42,077 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

Just as I was having a bad day along comes Lisa with a pointless rant to make me laugh. Thank you 😂

Italy
Level Contributor
9,222 posts
6. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

In the next installment we will learn maids are paid. But will we find out who else is paid? Be sure to watch this space.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,484 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

I'm sorry, Lisa, I really am, but you've made yourself look silly here and accidentally given everyone a good laugh.

You can learn a couple of lessons from this, though. Perhaps the most important is that it's not smart to look for the cheapest deal on anything if you end up with a rubbish provider and pay more than you should have.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

Thank you for the information Lisa. I will avoid THEM in the future. I don't want to pay $30 extra.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
469 posts
9. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

Yes, this one is funnier than most. We are warned, IN ALL CAPS NO LESS, not to book through these scumbag scam artists, but are never told who “they” are! LOL

I love how the assumption is also made that merely by googling “cheapest” that you would also get “most honest.” The sketchy used car salesman might offer the cheapest deal, but that doesn’t mean you should buy a car off his lot!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,648 posts
10. Re: Fair Warning.. Scam

A smart person is someone who reads the terms and conditions of the company they are booking with,

a smart person is someone who then checks all the charges that are likely to be made,

a smart person is someone who checks reviews of the company they have booked with ,

a smart person asks on travel forums about companies they are about to book with,

a smart person usually works out that cheaper does not always mean better.

a smart person usually tells folk the name of the company that they think has screwed them over.

Be a Smart Person.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 12:43
Reply to: Fair Warning.. Scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted