We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Addition of Rail Travel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
68 reviews
Save Topic
Addition of Rail Travel

In the same way Trip Advisor has now added Airlines, I really would like to make comments about rail trips, such as the Rocky Mountaineer and the Indian Pacific. Can this be considered?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,334 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

Hi,

The Rocky Mountaineer has been listed for a long time: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

The Indian Pacific is not yet listed but you can try requesting a listing by clicking on the arrow next to Review (top of the screen) and select Add a Listing to TripAdvisor.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,189 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

The Indian Pacific is multi day trip so should not be listed under the TA guidelines, and while the Rocky Mountaineer is also multi day, they used to run a one day trip to Whistler so that is how they got listed, and then people have posted reviews of the multi day trips there.

Al, are you aware there is a Train Travel forum here on TA? Why not post a trip report there?

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Travel.html

Edited: 05 August 2016, 06:55
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

I would ask this on the Train Travel Forum. Only because the mob there is very cognisant of train travel and may have at their finger tips which train trips are listed. Or even how they leave reviews for their train trips. One DE is an Aussie and I know of two other Aussies who participate in that forum. The Top Questions in the TTF lead me to a dead end, pretty much. Maybe they could tell you where their train travel trip reports are located and add yours to those.

Train Travel: https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Travel.html

Although this is definitely the right forum for your suggestion for website improvement, your practical answer may lie with train travel forum members.

I have always found it interesting that the RM is listed as Trip Advisor does not permit multi day tours. The RM has one overnight, as you know. I think they can do this because it really is one tour excursion, Point A to Point B, with a "break" in the tour. It's not an itinerary that includes Kamloops in any substantial way. Not only that but the RM company has taken ownership of the listing and reply to reviews now. So they are really in like Flynn now.

But the Indian Pacific, I would have thought would be a passenger train, not a tour? Like our VIA Rail? If so, it would not qualify for a listing. It would be possible to write an "Indian Pacific Trip Report" in the Train Travel Forum. Or the Australia Forum as that is a destination forum. Or both. That would be quite acceptable in the forums, as the activity does not have a listing, and something to do while you are waiting for TA to change their mind.

If you created a title of "Indian Pacific Trip Report" it would be easily searchable and you might find it would act as an invitation to others to add their trip report as well. You could be of great help to train travellers by doing a TR. (I think there is a VIA Rail thread in the Toronto Forum that runs over 200 posts.)

Edit: Frommy types faster than me. And is about to have lunch!

Edited: 05 August 2016, 07:13
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

All of the GSR services were listed, but removed and yet to be re-listed - although I sort of recall The Overland somewhere under attraction maybe (?)

But there are numerous threads for the Indian Pacific and The Ghan in existence on the Train Travel forum as mentioned by Mufti and others

Edited: 05 August 2016, 08:31
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

I noticed the threads asking travel questions but did not notice Trip Reports in the TQs or Trip Report threads in the TTF nor in the Aust Forum. I think BigAl could get the ball rolling!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

Very good point Mufti

There is a travelers article on rail travel in Australia, but there's definitely not TR section that's independent just for rail travel in Australia.

I'm guessing it's because any trip report that includes rail, is just filed under general Trip Reports

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,539 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

Yes the Indian Pacific and Ghan has listings for years as I wrote a review after the trip. Their management was also very active at responding to every single review very professionally.

Then around 2013 or 14 they were all wiped from the system.

So iconic journeys like the Orient Express and Trans Siberian are seemingly not considered "travel related".

The whole multi day issue is something TA needs to address better because it's attitude towards it is so out of touch with the travel style of millions.

8. Re: Addition of Rail Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2017, 10:47