We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

age of people posting

Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
age of people posting

Hi,

While I find you site fantastic and invaluable, I would like to suggest that it would be helpful if one knows the age group of people who give a review.

What suits someone of 20 might not necessarily suit someone who is over 50 etc. I was recently at a resort in Koi Samui and the 90 steps form breakfast to my villa did not bother me but if I was unfit and over 65 it might not have been suitable.

(Unless of course this information is available and I just haven't seen it !!

Regards

Bernard

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,953 posts
111 reviews
1. Re: age of people posting

Ausbernee do you add that sort of info to your reviews? I have done ever since someone asked me to look at access on a certain trip I now try to add that sort of info.

When I'm scanning for info I look quite a long way back for things like bus stops, walking tracks, nearby facilities. Some things that have attracted me to an hotel have been some extra mention of something

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
115 reviews
2. Re: age of people posting

Ausbernee, I can see from your profile that you categorize yourself as a 60+ Traveller. and also Beach Goer, Urban Explorer, Peace and Quiet Seeker

Not everyone chooses to provide Travel style information in their profiles and TA can not ensure it is accurate but it is easily available, by clicking on userid, when reading reviews should you choose to use it as well as access to the reviewers previous contributions.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: age of people posting

Firstly I don't want to be age-banded. Second I think it panders to stereo-types - already implicit in the OP with the comment about the steps and over 65s.

Like Toopaz if I encounter something that I think could be a problem for some travellers (eg lots of stairs and no lifts) that wasn't clear on the relevant website I will try and mention this in my review. If the website of a hotel said something along the lines of - < This is an old building with bedrooms on several floors. There are many flights of stairs and no lifts> - then I might not comment in my review. If however the stairs were steep or narrow and awkward to carry bags up it probably would get a mention.

Toora, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: age of people posting

Well said CheresX. Age doesn't have a great deal to do with a persons taste imo, 'is but a number' I think the saying goes. I understand your point but if a person is going to find climbing a set of stairs once a day too much then they should probably have inquired about disability access before booking. For me, if you're a good human being and a traveler, then I'm probably interested in your opinion.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,241 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: age of people posting

Hi

I very much agree with the previous replies

This again illustrates why the destination forums are so important as it allows you to research your trips and find out all the information that is important to you

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,456 posts
1,800 reviews
6. Re: age of people posting

Early on, and for the reasons cited, I added approx age to my Profile.

I seldom make mention of that in Reviews, unless I see a specific need, but often do, in destination forum posts.

When recommending a club/bar, on say the Las Vegas Forum, I qualify my answer, as what a 65+ "luxury traveler" might like, would most probably differ from a 20? "budget traveler."

When applicable, I try to do, as you suggest.

Happy travels,

Hunt

7. Re: age of people posting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2017, 10:46