We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

Hi,

I just saw a new clip about a company called TraffickCam. It is a mobile app that allows travelers to snap photos of their hotels which go into a database which is used to identify the location human trafficking photos are taken. It is a brilliant and simple idea that could help officials world wide stop this terrible crime. As a company that assists travelers you are in the optimal position to promote this app.

I have NO connection at all to this company. But I do have a daughter and as a parent would be forever grateful if you would join the battle against human trafficking.

Thank you,

Lisa Diamond

Newbie TripAdvisor

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,035 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

Hi Lisa;

Before I respond, I want to point out that I do NOT work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I’m a member just like you, who volunteers my time assisting fellow members.

There are MANY causes, all around the world, that all worthy of being promoted by TripAdvisor's, but how are they to choose one over another. To be fair to everyone, their policy is to promote none.

I agree with that policy.

Best Regards

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
2. Re: TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

There is the TripAdvisor Causes Forum. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i…

There is also: The TripAdvisor Charitable Foundation

141 Needham St.

Newton, MA United States 02464-1505

URL: www.tripadvisor.com/careers/culture

The foundation supports programs designed to relieve the suffering of people around the world through education, health, human services, and international affairs. One of the fields of interest is child welfare. I would contact them .

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

TraffickCam requires no funding. Basically it only needs people staying in a hotel to take photos of their room and upload them. That's it. Tons of people would do it if they knew why, how and the benefit it brings. TripAdvisor is in the perfect position to let people know about this easy to do service.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

One quick question - did you even check out what this was before responding? Just curious.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,054 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

I'm sure they read as far as "join the battle against human trafficking." TA will not join any battles or any causes or any campaign for wider social projects. It's like asking Ford or Chevy to take up the cause for saving women from prostitution because men drive cars for that. TA own and run a travel website to assist with trip planning.

The guidelines for content on TA are here. See the section under "Relevant to Travellers." https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

6. Re: TripAdvisor should join forces with TraffickCam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2017, 10:46