We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
5 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

...since I got the a survey, and became aware of the ability to order hotel rooms via trip advisor (even though I do not see the $50 bonus suggestion) - I tried to reserve a hotel I was looking at, but after filling in all my data \(including credit card data - which I didn't like...), when I submitted I got an 'unknown error'... so, sorry, trip advisor, but I was 'forced' to use booking instead of tripadvisor.

I hope it will be fixed by the next time I try...

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,593 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

When you're booking on TripAdvisor, you're actually using Booking.com or the hotel's own reservation system which are incorporated into TripAdvisor's platform (that is, without leaving the site). TripAdvisor is not actually making the reservation. Read carefully before using the Book on TripAdvisor button again. It does say which company you're placing the booking with.

The error message may have caused a double booking. Make sure your booking didn't go through. Click on the arrow next to your user name on top of the screen and select Bookings. If the booking went through, you'll find a confirmation email there.

About having to put your credit card, well, that's the way most hotels work, by requiring a credit card to hold your reservation. Booking.com, if you enter your card, will not process the payment though. They don't provide this service but will transfer the information so that the hotel can charge your credit card on arrival or if you fail to show up.

Silvia

Edited: 13 June 2016, 22:21
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
5 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

Thanks Silvia, for your elaborated answer.

Yes, I assumed I am booking via 'booking' just using your site, and this is the reason I wrote about this issue, hoping you might find out what's the problem when I work through your site, because going directly (in another window) to 'booking.com' and selecting the same hotel & dates, using the same credit card, I was able to complete the reservation without an issue.

Also, I know hotels request the credit card data as guarantee - all I was eluding to was that I would be happier to, say, 'secure' something via a paypal account, instead of the need to disclose credit cards data... not sure it can be done - just suggesting...

Thanks for all your help

Arik

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,114 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

It's not Silvia's site, Arikiis, nor is it mine. Neither of us work for Tripadvisor, you may not be aware that you have posted on a public forum where almost all of the replies will come from fellow users.

The purpose of this forum is to make suggestions for improving the website, and for discussing such suggestions. For future reference, there is a Support forum where you can post questions about how to use the site and report issues and problems as well.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

We booked a hotel with TripAdvisor's site Booking.com in Telluride, Co recently and when we arrived at the hotel we found out that the listing with Booking.com was misleading and stated that the room had a hot tub. The hotel apologized and said that the room booked with Booking.com never has had a hot tub and all the rooms with hot tubs were booked. We are upset that TripAdvisor uses this site and we trusted Booking.com because of the relationship with TripAdvisor.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

1. Has nothing to do with TripAdvisor The details of the rooms on Booking.com is loaded by the hotel themselves, so the hotel is to blame.

2. By all accounts the listing was accurate. The hotel basically didn't give you what you booked.

3. Blaming TA and Booking.com is about as accurate as blaming yourself, because you used the computer and chose that hotel

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,114 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

KVE is right. This is a hotel issue. They are simply trying to pass the buck.

7. Re: error when trying to book a hotel via trip advisor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2017, 11:48
Get answers to your questions