We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

Have you ever been in a situation where you got some perks or advantages due to being a TripAdvisor user and/or having a high level here, when dealing with management while travelling?

For example - something in a hotel wasn't to your satisfaction, you explained that you are a top level TA reviewer, and you believe because of that you got upgraded to a better room / got extra attentive service etc.

As far as I understand, TA levels don't affect how your reviews are used, i.e. it doesn't make them appear at the top longer, they don't have a higher weight in the overall rating for a place etc., so they are basically completely meaningless, is that right? Then again, hotel managers might not know that and be more scared of a bad tripadvisor review from a high-level member.

Anyway - what is your experience with this? Got any advantages from being a Tripadvisor member during your travels?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,053 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

TA membership, whether from a " Top Level Contributor" or from an absolute beginner, should not be bandied about in an attempt to obtain preferential treatment or services from hotels or restaurants.

Such behaviour would negate the whole point of TA, which is supposed to be honest reviews, without bias or expectation of " perks".

TA membership, at any level doesn't confer any " special" status on the member, and nor should it.

Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

I understand all that, but that's not what I wanted to discuss here. Besides, what is wrong with trying to get the best service/treatment you can get, especially if you are travelling with your loved ones and you are not negatively affecting anyone else? I don't see this as being any different to tipping extra the staff at the places you frequent, which often leads to extra attentive service.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,699 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

WRONG FORUM

This forum, the “Help Us Make TripAdvisor Better!” forum, is for discussions and suggestions on ways to improve the TripAdvisor website, itself.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,053 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

No need to shout, thanks, RT!

I believe the OP was asking " How to Make Tripadvisor Better" for him.................

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

--"Have you ever been in a situation where you got some perks or advantages due to being a TripAdvisor user and/or having a high level here, when dealing with management while travelling?"

No. I've never been arrogant enough to tell anyone. Frankly, I doubt anyone would care, and that's as it should be. I'm not in the hospitality industry, but if I was and someone came in brandishing their TA "level," I'd probably tell them that their level and $1.59 will get them a cup of coffee. Plus tax, of course. For your own good, if you ever tried it yourself, I hope you get that kind of response.

What's wrong with trying to get the best service? Nothing. But, playing the "Do you know who I am?" game is a dishonest and yes, arrogant way of doing it. I don't mean to be harsh (well, not TOO harsh), but I hope you will reconsider your position on this and learn that spouting your opinions on a free website does not make you special or important, nor does it entitle you to better treatment than everyone else who spends their hard earned money at the places you visit.

Best of luck and happy travels.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,721 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

Where is there a thumbs up button for the response from e_c?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,983 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

Here's the thing.

When someone mentions ta...to me...My response always is something like "oh I will gave to check that out dometime?"

That's me however some from what I read ...unbelievable.

As far as what level all I can say is this we don't know their level until the get a review posted to our listing so no the level makes no difference to us until the review goes live

SC

Edited: 13 June 2016, 19:13
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,699 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

Very much agree with e_c

Posts like this never cease to amaze me - all very sad!!!

Properties should be striving to give all clients the best service they can and being nice and polite to people goes a long way in getting reciprocal service which you can of course reward with a smile and a tip. No need at all to mention TA

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,983 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

If someone took the time to tell me their level on trip advisor I would most likely be polite and answer their questions as best I could but give them the name of another business down the street.

Here's why the best members and best reviews are the ones you don't expect..many say they will review and never do others don't say a word and do...those usually are the best reviews

SC

Edited: 13 June 2016, 19:21
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do hotel/restaurant/etc. managers care about your TA level?

My OP must have come across wrong. I never mentioned being arrogant or dishonest. But there are sometimes situations where, say, you book a hotel for a week or two, you arrive there, and there are problems / something is not to your expectations. The staff are not being very helpful at resolving it so you go speak to the manager. Hopefully the manager is helpful and all is resolved, great - everyone makes mistakes/runs into problems, it's how you resolve them that is important. But if not, does it ever help to indicate that you always leave reviews of the places you stay at? If so, does your TripAdvisor record of helpful reviews ever make a difference?

Of course I completely agree that for any business that wants to do well every customer should be special and important, and by no means do I feel any sense of entitlement. In any case, having knowledge of something does not mean you are going to act on it. I am mostly just curious.