We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Troll Report Option ?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,134 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Troll Report Option ?

Over the last few months, there has been a significant increase in the number of obviously troll posts across many forums. Several over the last few days the air travel forum alone...

The " report inappropriate post" function is useful, and it's quite proper that no-body knows the exact algorithm that determines how many members are reporting such content before the system auto-deletes the trash, but would it be possible to have a specific " troll" option in the drop-down menu, with, perhaps, a lower reporting threshold?

Members can, and do, report posts via the Help Centre, and I am very impressed at the Mods responsiveness to the issues I have reported to them, but the process is time consuming for the staffers, and if there was a " troll" option, it could save time, effort and forum space!!

Mon

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,733 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Troll Report Option ?

The problem with having it as an option with an auto-delete after so many clicks is that I have seen users call people "trolls" and they certainly were not "trolls"

I think reporting them via the HC as you say works and TA seem to view that as the preferred method

Essex
Level Contributor
31,540 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Troll Report Option ?

Calling people trolls is just wrong. If you think you have spotted one, the best thing to do is ask TA their opinion via the help centre, and let them decide who can/can't play on their website.

It was only yesterday, Mon, that you were saying we members do not have the right to say who does/does not participate on the site, wasn't it?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,535 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Troll Report Option ?

I don't think a Troll option in Report Inappropriate Content is necessary or wise. People throw the Troll label around too much on the forums and often they are wrong. The person often isn't a troll, just a tiny bit annoying.

The current reporting through to Staff and allowing them to evaluate is the best option in my opinion.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Troll Report Option ?

Too many people think that anyone who doesn't agree with them is a troll. Don't think it is a good idea--sorry Mon.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Troll Report Option ?

I do agree that the growth in popularity of TA has led to many new members posting - many who aren't keyed into the nuances, various differering cultures which exist on the destination fora.

I think the current reporting process works well. I'm afraid that the suggested changes would leave the various fora vulnerable to abuse as members would soon realize they can more easily 'vote down' posts which they do not agree with / offer a different opinion or just plain don't like.

I'm afraid we have to take the good with the bad.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,117 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Troll Report Option ?

I am of the opinion that TA Staff should be sent the "offender" for their assessment. Fewer mistakes that way. I think it can take time, but it works best.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,134 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Troll Report Option ?

Thanks for all the views, folks.

What I meant was in reference to an obvious troll.

There was one in Air Travel last night. They only joined yesterday, asked a question, and in the middle of it, started putting things like " Get off me, Get off me" and " They're biting me, they're biting me"

I did report it via the Mods, and the member and their post have now gone.

I just thought that a specific report function might be of some value.

Of course I wouldn't want members " ganging up" on someone who they don't agree with, because that clearly would be an equal abuse of the forums.

Mon

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
1,710 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Troll Report Option ?

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a troll?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,733 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Troll Report Option ?

LWL

I suggest you look up the meaning in the Internet

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
1,710 reviews