We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Add a time limit to respond box.

conn
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
148 reviews
Add a time limit to respond box.

Some posters include a travel time period in their posts and I've seen others respond well after the information may be helpful or relevant. Many times old post are resurrected by people who didn't pay attention to the dates in original info. My suggestion would be to allow the original poster to add cutoff dates for responses.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

Yes, those necroposts can be a bit annoying, yet sometimes the info is good and may be useful to others researching the same question. So ultimately, they don't really bother me much.

If posters are not payong attention to the OP's travel dates, will they pay attention to a "cut off point"? Will TA close the thread? Something they seem to do on an erratic basis anyway, IME...

It is the necroposting spammers that are the biggest wind-up and they definitely won't pay attention to anything!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
82 reviews
2. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

Once upon a time threads were closed after a given period of inactivity on some of the forums. I'd be happy for that to be across the board to stop the "necropost" whether spammers or just piggy-backers.

If a thread is now out-dated and attracting advertisers it can be reported via the Help Centre and I've found staff will close these (not remove them, so the useful info is still there) within a few days. I doubt they'd want requests to close where the responses are "out of time" though.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,095 posts
478 reviews
3. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

I'd like to see TA go back to closing old and inactive threads automatically. I think it was after six months, wasn't it?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

It's been a year as long as I've been here, but I believe it was 6 months at one point. Now, we seem to have posts that get brought up every 6 months two, sometimes three years after the OP.

What I'd like to see is getting back to AUTOMATIC closure of dormant threads after so much time has passed. I'll live with a year, but 6 months of inactivity would be best. I'm not a real fan of the OP setting a floating "shut off" time. I understand it for questions like, "I'm going to Walla Walla, Washington on June 17th," because anything posted after June 17th would be irrelevant to the OP. However, for other questions that may be relevant to others beyond the OP, I'd rather the threads go on as necessary.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

Back in days of yore it was 12 months IIRC.

Then about 5 yr ago they decided to make it 6 moths, then it went back to 12 and now I don't think anyone knows where they are.....

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

AFAIK: In active forums, posts are automatically closed after 12 months with no new activity. In less-active forums, they can hang around for years; TA has said they feel a wall of "CLOSED" signs is discouraging to people wanting to read or post new threads.

As for necroposting, yes, it drives me nuts. It seems like newer users in particular will resurrect a three month old thread in their eagerness to join in. Sometimes others will then chime in, also not noticing the stale date on the OP. On some forums, a regular will post a reply pointing out the date issue; some are more polite about it than others. Some necroposters acknowledge their mistake, and I've seen others get really snippy about it.

What I don't want to see - what I don't think can possibly work - is for anyone to say, no replies after date X. These are open forums - anyone can reply on any thread at any time. Sometimes someone will say things like "this thread is now closed!" or "end of discussion" or whatever - well, that doesn't end the thread, nor should it. Yes, it should be really obvious that if someone says he's planning a trip for June then there's no point giving advice in August. But a user who's going to miss that is also not likely to pay attention to any cutoff date box were it to be added.

Some things just require common sense. Unfortunately, that isn't actually common.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
1,728 reviews
7. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

Some of the information posted too late, or necropostings, could well prove helpful to a reader other than the OP, in the planning of the same activities or itineraries at a later date.

Tobyhanna...
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

In other places I have posted the OP could change the OP anytime.... did I just say that?

Well the Original Poster could change the Original Post... so they could add <SOLVED> to the title.

This would allow relevant posting while letting people know the main issues are taken care of.

There does not seem to be an option to edit OP though.

Edited: 24 May 2016, 17:43
Tobyhanna...
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

Perhaps adding a check box for the OP to check once they have an answer, so that a "SOLVED" indication would appear?

Tobyhanna...
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Add a time limit to respond box.

Adding a solved indication would also be helpful for those rare individuals who actually do search first looking for answers... seeing a "solved" next to the same question they have makes it east to find.

<sorry for the 3 posts but I kept thinking of new things to add after the edit time>