We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duplicate Restaurant Listings

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
Duplicate Restaurant Listings

Please note that TripAdvisor lists the same restaurant twice. In Tasmania, you list "The Source Restaurant" and "The Source". This is the same restaurant. You list them in different cities. I suggest that you use "The Source Restaurant", show it in Berryville, not Hobart, and merge the reviews in each of these. I just wrote a review for "The Source Restaurant" that includes photos, one which includes the restaurant name. Thanks! Brad

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,318 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

Hi Brad,

This is a member forum. To report a duplicate for a restaurant, you need to click on Improve this Listing (right column under the map on the listing page).

Silvia

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

Thanks Silvia. I just completed my report, as you suggested.

Furlong PA
Level Contributor
687 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

as long as this topic came up.... It's been a pet peeve of mine that I often see duplicate listings of a new town I'm researching. I do report them and usually the reviews are combined later. BUT.....

Can't there be some mechanism to prevent users from creating the duplicate? As a first line of defense, a warning message early in the process asking the user to sort the existing list alphabetically to check that the business already exists? And really, unless it's a new business, you should expect it's already listed?

And then, can't software detect a very similar name being created in the same town, and 1. warn the user and 2. Flag it for moderator review if the user persists?

Edited: 08 April 2016, 19:10
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,318 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

David,

Quite likely what you find now as duplicates are old listings. TripAdvisor implemented an automated system for listing requests, I think last year or 2014. Since then, it's actually quite difficult to get a listing, for example, if the address or name are similar to another one. People have been having problems requesting listing for businesses that share an address, or a second location for a business that already exists in that city and/or the website is the same ((like it could be for a restaurant).

Silvia

Edited: 08 April 2016, 19:45
Furlong PA
Level Contributor
687 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

Maybe, I hope so. Still I just last week reported a pair of duplicates something like

Joes Restuarant

Joes-Restuarant

Where the user had used unnatural hyphens to clearly force the creation of a dupe !

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,702 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

I reported some duplicates last week, and they're still up. I'm being patient (sort of.) One pair of listings is for a restaurant that opened less than a year ago. The duplicates are something like

Joes Italian Restaurant

and

Joes

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,466 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

I think that cleaning up duplicates are not a high priority. When I reported some in the past, it took a few weeks for the changes to be implemented.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

David and Silvia.... The automatic system may be contributing the confusing situation at MONA, as there are three restaurants and a wine tasting area at the museum. Of the four, three are outside of the museum. The four include: duplicate listing (The Source Restaurant), no listing (The Cellar Door), The Wine Bar listing (has photos of The Source Restaurant, the Wine Bar, the Cellar Door, and the vineyard), and the listing for MONA Café located inside the MONA museum. The MONA Café is the only location with no confusion. Brad

London
Level Contributor
576 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

I have noticed that reporting duplicates via the 'improve this listing' facility does not generate a support ticket, unlike the other options: 'suggest updates', 'permanently closed', 'inappropriate' and 'permanently closed'. All those options create tickets visible in the 'my tickets' section of the general support page. To me, this suggests that reports of duplicate entries are going into a black hole.

Incidentally, the duplicate entries for The Source restaurant in Tasmania highlighted by Tirebiter8 have not been corrected. I wonder if they ever will be.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duplicate Restaurant Listings

I've spotted Macdonalds as well as the correct McDonalds in some places & reported them (one was a day or two back). As the previous poster has said without a support ticket it isn't easy to check for results (unless you make notes which I don't).