We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
26 reviews
Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

I'm currently on vacation, so have been using TripAdvisor to read restaurant reviews. They are now limiting you to only three reviews you can read on the mobile site, telling you that you MUST use the app to read more.

No thank you!!! I used to have the app, and I don't like it. I prefer using the mobile site.

STOP forcing the app on us TripAdvisor!!!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,459 posts
288 reviews
1. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Yes, it is annoying that TripAdvisor is setting limitations on the use of the mobile site. I don't mind using the app, especially to read reviews, but I understand not everyone wants to use the app.

If you happen to be using an iPhone with iOS 9, once the three reviews are displayed, touch and hold the refresh button on the Safari address bar. By holding it, you'll get an iOS feature that offers you the desktop site of any website. Select it and you can continue reading all reviews.

Silvia

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
312 reviews
2. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

The Andoid app is no joy either. Tried it hated it uninstalled it. I never saw any benefit. The offline guides were not useful where I was going.

In 10 years using TA I have seen my former "home" forum go from a lively place with a variety of opinion from visitors as well as residents to many fewer new threads a day or week and posters waiting for the resident experts to chime in with received wisdom.

It has become a more passive experience, not an active sharing and interchange experience. Other forums are not like that. But

I mention it as another expression of a "we know what is good for you" and "we know how you should use the site," feeling I get.

I have also seen increasing efforts to force signing in at each visit via multiple popups, to book via the site, to rotate my device. All of this is maddening enough on a tablet.

On my new Google Nexus 6P? No way. TA is crippling itself with technology push. Let us use the means we choose and let us learn what tech works best for us. Or we will just wander off...

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Yes, I've just realized this today. They've gone from pushing the app to forcing it, and I'm not biting. My phone is full enough without adding another useless app. And NO, the site does NOT work better from the app than the mobile site!

Here's a thought for whoever made this decision: if your app was so great, people would choose to use it without being forced into it. Since we don't choose to use it, that must mean we don't think as highly of it as you do.

So I won't be using TA from the mobile site for anything but the forums. (As long as that lasts, anyway).

I will not be downloading the app.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
4. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

I'm having the same issue...my phone is full and I don't want the app. Poor show by tripadvisor

Glasgow
Level Contributor
21 posts
5. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Also on holiday, trying to look at reviews of local attractions. Really annoyed at this, I have an older phone with almost no storage left. So I guess that means I won't be using the site at all any more. I bet your competitor sites are delighted at this idiocy! Nice work tripadvisor, I've used the site for over a decade but guess that's me done.

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Yeah, I'm back to forums-only on the mobile. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
7. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Just one of the looooong list of reasons that adds to me becoming infuriated with TripAdvisors app and them forcing it on us!!

My total major gripe though is the fact it is not possible (at least I can't) to view messages on the app or to report posts!

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
75 reviews
8. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

We've never been able to do that. But the new review reading limit - the fact that they deliberately removed functionality in order to push us to the app - that leads me to language that would get this post removed.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
265 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Stupidity. Anybody know of other similar forum websites? Thanks!

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Really annoying - can only see 3 reviews if not using app!!

Just another voice saying the same - the three review system is irritating.

And I share the comment made about pressing me to book. Not welcome

Finally - please include contact details for hotels and restaurants. This is a MAJOR defect with TripAdvisor