We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bigger font size for usernames

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
Save Topic
Bigger font size for usernames

I am struggling to read member usernames under their avatars because of their font size. Reading everything else is not a problem though. I assume many other posters could benefit from a size 12 font.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,869 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

On my Mac, I use the "Command+" and the "Command-" to make the font larger or smaller. I don't know what it is on a PC.

One thing I notice is that if I have magnified the font, the page sometimes displays oddly, the left-to-right look goes askew. The text at the right side tries to squeeze in. This is because I'm in large font. If I use the minus sign again, the page display takes its proper order. Only interferes once in a while though.

On my iPad, I press my fingers wider to get larger font and then after pinch the screen back in.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

I've increased my display to compensate for my declining eyesight, but I think that the screen names are a little smaller than the normal font used to display the text of reviews and forum posts. I think that's the issue here.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

The issue is obviously usernames being a smaller font. I have no problem reading the location names or posts.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,242 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

I think the problem may be that if TA used a larger font that some user names would not fit on the one line

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

The location font looks to be the same size as the screen name to me. The G in Gainesville looks identical to the G in GoingToManyPlaces, apart from the colour.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,242 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

The location and user name are both shown as being 10.998px whereas the text in the post is 14.004px

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

Thanks for the technical details. That proves that yes, there is a difference and it's not my eyes getting even worse!

8. Re: Bigger font size for usernames

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2017, 10:46