We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algorithm changed?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Algorithm changed?

I cannot find any explanation since in between 2 visits to the website we lost 120 positions as a restaurant in Brussels!

We don't normally check everyday our TA ranking, so I'm not sure if this took a day or a week, but we got 2 very positive reviews (one negative only yesterday) and when reading them we realized this had happened.

A quick check to those restaurants that were around us when we were ±90th showed no change...

Can anybody explain?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,661 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Algorithm changed?

Hi Josedal65;

This forum, the “Help Us Make TripAdvisor Better!” forum, is for discussions and suggestions on ways to improve the TripAdvisor website, itself.

For future reference, TA has created an owners only forum to answer concerns like yours. Matters that pertain to your business or property, or that are relevant only to business owners or managers, should be posted in the Owners' forum. You can find that forum here on TA;

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i14281-Owners.h…

I'm not making any accusations, but there is a Help Centre page which comments about why a property may drop suddenly in the ratings.

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_happens_if_a_proper…

Best Regards

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Algorithm changed?

This forum is intended for suggestions to make the site better. As your query relates to your business you're better asking on the dedicated Owners' forum via the link in the pinned thread at the top of this forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i…

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Algorithm changed?

Ok thanks,

but the fact that a normal person like me struggles to find answers and to get in touch with a company representative, should be food for thoughts to those that want to improve the idea, aint 'it?

😇

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Algorithm changed?

Definitely not our case, we won for 3 years in a row TA excellence certificate and our review numbers are not growing suddenly and exponentially as in some cases I'm witnessing.

And Ive been rejecting a) people asking for free meal in exchange of a review, b) people asking for money in exchange for hundreds of review...

Anyway thanks

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,693 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Algorithm changed?

I fully agree that TA should make it clearer on how both users and owners can contact TA and this has been raised many times but TA seems oblivious to the problem

As has been suggested in you case seek help to begin with on the Owners Forum

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Algorithm changed?

Whenever someone asks for a free meal in return for a review I would report it as attempted fraud. That way if they leave a bad review you have a chance of getting it removed.

7. Re: Algorithm changed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2017, 11:47