We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

I have noticed a review of a place I recently reviewed and it is obviously false. It is also hugely defamatory. What does Trip Advisor do to ensure that a negative review is honest? Do you ask for receipts to prove that a stay has actually been experienced? When owners' livelihoods are at stake I would have thought this was the least that should happen?

Can any legal action be taken by an owner against a false and dishonest review?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,494 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

Any of us members can report a review to Staff and later you may be contacted to provide evidence that it's fraudulent or false. Click the Report link next to a small grey coloured flag under the review. It then says 'Problem with this review'. Click that and choose an option. But, reviews are subjective, and your opinion of the place may not match another reviewers experience. Everybody has a unique experience. Doesn't make theirs false and yours true.

Edited: 02 February 2016, 03:34
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,180 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

Hi

As has been said opinions can vary

We have stayed at properties and have been having a great time and met guests who were totally fed up and having problems

You may interested in reading this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k922…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

It may be obvious to you that a review is fake, but TA will want to be reasonably sure that a review is fake before they take any action.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

I believe I've sniffed out the review in question, and from what I can tell, it may be in violation of guidelines in terms of the language. Only TA will be able to make that determination, however. As far as its authenticity goes, no one has any way of knowing for sure.

I'm sure you could imagine what a huge inconvenience it would be if TA required members to submit receipts in order to post reviews. That's a burden that, I'd venture to guess, the average user of a free website wouldn't want to bother with. You didn't submit receipts with your 9 reviews, did you? The harsh reality, for better or for worse, is that TA simply can't fact-check the millions of reviews on the site. There's a lot they can do to improve the site, for sure, but I can't really get on them too much for not following up on every single review.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
772 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

WOW ! And this review received 14 helpful votes ?

I do think that once the owner/ manager challenges someone's stay (especially after such a malicious review) the "guest" should be asked to produce a receipt.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,180 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

I have noticed before that it is not unusual for negative review to amass a lot of of votes very quickly

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

Yes, I've noticed the same thing and I've always assumed it was just because others agree with whatever was negative. But there could be more to it than that.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

--"I've always assumed it was just because others agree with whatever was negative."

So have I, to be honest. That's why I don't take much stock in the helpful votes. Not sure what else it could be outside of a concerted effort by a competitor. Either way, I don't think it's an appropriate review, at least not as it was written.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

I don't really take much notice of these votes at all, as you probably know from previous discussion on the subject. But sometimes I do notice that a review has a big number of them. It all makes even more convinced that they should be done away with.

If the review is the one I think it is then I don't know if it's actually fake or not. Though I do side with the owner more than the reviewer.

Edited: 03 February 2016, 21:36
10. Re: Zero tolerance on false reviews??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2017, 10:47