We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has restaurant been in business during the reviewed period?

St Albans, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Has restaurant been in business during the reviewed period?

I visited a restaurant recently and became suspicious about their provenance...

They were unable to provide a VAT receipt and when challenged the manager told me that they were a "new" restaurant, however they were displaying awards from 2013 and 2014. A quick search on Companies House shows me that the company registered at that address was formed a few months ago, however the Tripadvisor reviews go back to 2012.

What validation does Tripadvisor do to ensure that reviews are current and are not misleading?

If a company closes down and then a new business starts up at the same premises then it is a new business and all previous reviews are invalid.

As a user of Tripadvisor then I would expect the review to refer to the current business, the current owner, not to a prior incarnation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I have not provided the name of the restaurant as I am continuing to investigate the history but I would like to know how Tripadvisor protects the consumer and prevents misleading information relating to historical businesses?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,268 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has restaurant been in business during the reviewed period?

Iain, you aren't in communication with TA here. You're merely posting on a public forum where I'm pretty sure that the only replies you'll receive will come from fellow members.

Similarly, this websites relies greatly on user generated content and members reporting when businesses are closed. Owners can and do request that reviews are removed following a change of ownership, but they can't be forced to do this.

TA isn't really in the business of protecting consumers. It's merely a platform that has been created so that people can share information about travel, whether that be through reviews, photographs, or forum posts such as this one.

2. Re: Has restaurant been in business during the reviewed period?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2016, 11:47