We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to read specific older reviews

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
250 reviews
Trying to read specific older reviews

I'm visiting Yosemite in October. So I want to read reviews from October of last year. I should be able to enter a number of which review I want to read. Advancing backward from the current date to last year takes forever!!!! I should (please) see something like this:

PREVIOUS 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - ... 897 (I should be able to enter a number where those three dots are!!)

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,255 posts
288 reviews
1. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

I agree. TripAdvisor should use in Attractions the same filter they use for hotels, where we can read reviews for a three-month period of previous years.

Now, that said, you always have to check the "date of stay" or "date of visit". People could have submitted reivews for October but actually visited in May.

Silvia

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,206 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

Hmmm.

We've shared ideas about how to go back to previous reviews of a particular property or an attraction, but not how to go back to the "All Reviews" page. So I gave it a try.

Here is the Yosemite page of All Reviews

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

(tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS) With the () marks around the URL, you can see the exact letters & numbers. It won't hyperlink

-------Here is the next page, 2

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

(tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS)

------And here is page 3

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

(tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS)

It looks like the last unique digits change in this order

-g61000

g61000-or3

g61000-or23

So I think you can jump ahead many many months by changing that part after the "or"

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work. The last one in English is "or1343" and it's just August 2015.

=============

So I guess you're stuck with looking at the particular attraction or hotel reviews for places that interest you. Use the same strategy of changing the last digits.

Yosemite Lodge at the Falls current page: (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g61000-d119523)

Page 2 (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g61000-d119523-…)

Adding many ... (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g61000-d119523-…) 810 seems to be about October.

-------------

Last tip ~ ask on the specific forum. I know (because I know Yosemite) that there are some October reports in the Trip Reports in the Top Questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,015 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

There is a workaround that works pretty well. Hotels can be viewed by season (as a filter) but you might be talking about attractions. No matter, the pattern I am going to explain is the same, either way.

Here is the URL for an attraction at Yosemite. It is set to page 2 of the reviews in order to see the system. And I will add a spare character in front to deaden the link.

$http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g61000-d139182-Reviews-or10-El_Capitan-Yosemite_National_Park_California.html#REVIEWS

Note in that string the part that is written -or10- . This means that a page of 10 reviews comes before page 2. The code in page 3 will use the number 20, and so on back through time.

What you can do, is change only that number, to -or1000- or maybe -or2000- and see what date it takes you to. This trick allows you to take large leaps back through the reviews. At some point you can fine tune your system to move page by page to the beginning of October, 2015.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,206 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

Drat

() doesn't stop the Hyperlink. I usually use .. and that's what I should have used. And Mufti & I were posting at the same time.

Anyway, the numbers you need are accurate in my detailed reply. But you can't read the URLs.

810 is Yosemite Lodge at the Falls

410 is Tunnel View

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,081 posts
75 reviews
5. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

Totally agree. I want to say we used to have more page number boxes years ago, but I might be imagining that. Anyway, this has been suggested more than once, but TA apparently would prefer to have us click click click 5 reviews at a time.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,206 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

You do not need to click 5 reviews at a time (page by page.) Just change the last digits of the URL to jump back months at a time.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,255 posts
288 reviews
7. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

Yes, that can be done, but it's not a good way of advancing pages for most people. You and I know what an URL is and how to edit. I would be a very high percentage of people do not.

If TripAdvisor was able to give us a filter for hotels for a three-month period, why not use the same on Attraction listings and just make it easy for everybody?

For restaurants, I suppose is not needed. They aren't seasonal. But some attractions clearly are, and I think Yosemite is a very good example.

Silvia

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,081 posts
75 reviews
8. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

Yes, I know that method works, but it shouldn't be necessary. And it's especially inconvenient on the mobile.

9. Re: Trying to read specific older reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2016, 09:47