We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
415 reviews
Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

I began your new travel survey, thinking it would take a minute or two, but it went on and on. Then, at 69% completed, at a list of popular travel websites, it stalled. It kept telling me that I had not completed all the selections, although I had, and prevented me from continuing. The link "Go to the first error" didn't work. What a waste of my time! Shame on TripAdvisor! I'll never do one of your surveys again!

USA
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
257 reviews
1. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

I answered the first question, saw that I was only 4% done and quit the survey. No way was I going to click through 24 more questions.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,055 posts
476 reviews
2. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

I agree it's a waste of time. I unsubscribed from these things a while ago now, I'm pleased to say.

Canada
Level Contributor
570 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

Wish I had seen your post I just posted the same thing happened to me

missed my darn lunch break - not a happy bunny

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

Mistake number one, you took a survey. Lesson learned, eat a sandwich the next time you take one.

It does sound like some kind of glitch. I've seen stuff like it on other sites and is a pain in the posterior if you've taken the time to do it. If the survey is important enough to them to put out there, hopefully they'll figure out what's going on with it.

Edited: 08 April 2015, 22:13
Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
5. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

This was my reply to the survey and, guess what, the mailbox is not monitored! So here goes: I hope this mail box is monitored so that I can vent my frustration over the survey. It may surprise you to know that I don’t provide reviews for the kudos, points, discounts etc. It is purely to help others as I have been helped by previous reviews. Indeed such incentives may well lead to inaccurate reviews as people clamour to add something, anything, just to get more points/discounts/whatever. To have to tick 3 boxes, all of which were totally irrelevant is plain stupid! Please bear this in mind when designing future surveys.

Many thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

I answered the survey but I think there's questionable validity as you're forced to select 3 options in certain sections when you may just want to select 1. Surveys need to be designed to reflect the opinions of the respondents and not designed so that you need to tick on something that you otherwise would not have selected. I'd suggest a minimum of 1 in sections and not 3.

Having completed the survey, I don't think it reflects my opinions as accurately as it could due to the survey design.

Regards,

L4

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,055 posts
476 reviews
7. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

Surveys can be designed to ensure that certain results are more likely. Was that your impression of this one Luckyfour? Personally I detest surveys that lead to towards providing an answer that you don't agree with, but don't provide an option to say 'I don't agree with any of the above' and give your reasons why. From what you say, it sounds as though this survey is one of those!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

-"Surveys can be designed to ensure that certain results are more likely."

This is a key point that must be understood, as it is done all the time. Surveys done for true research purposes are going to allow the results to dictate themselves. Often, though, there is a desired outcome so that the entity putting the survey out can use the results to back up what they want (i.e., every political survey written since we stopped drawing on rocks in caves). I don't have any desire to take this one, as I have paint drying in the other room and I don't want to miss it. The few surveys I've taken on TA notoriously shoe-horn your responses, so in my opinion, it's not worth the aggravation.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

me too - same problem at 67% - won't be doing any more of these!

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
10. Re: Your new survey -- what a waste of my time!

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to report these issues to us. We've escalated several survey complaints post to our survey team. They are going to pause the survey while they investigate the technical issues that have been reported.

Thanks again!

Jeanine

TripAdvisor Staff