We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago Resturant Rankings

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Chicago Resturant Rankings

Does anyone else find it suspicious that Wildberry Pancakes is the number THREE restaurant in Chicago? I don't believe that they're the number three breakfast food place in Chicago. Breakfast isn't exactly known as the a showplace category for sophisticated culinary artistry. This place does not stretch the foundries of even breakfast food. They serve pancakes, and eggs and toast. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with what they do with those. I don't see how they beat out the scores of talented professional chefs doing original work around the city, or the hundreds of of wonderful authentic ethnic restaurants around the city. Chicago has a diverse and wonderful restaurant scene. All these voters this can't simply be mistaken. This can't be a testament to capricious nature of amateur review sites. It must be the result of some kind of deliberate organized attempt to falsify the ranking.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Chicago Resturant Rankings

Or, it could be that cheap satisfying places are very popular and receive high ratings from TA members. As many have said on this forum before, the star classification of a restaurant has nothing to do with rating or ranking. Everyone's on an equal playing field, diners against fine dining, motels against luxury hotels. The dots only represent customer satisfaction and nothing more.

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Chicago Resturant Rankings

Have you eaten in Chicago? There are plenty of cheaper places that are better. There are plenty of restaurants that do similar food, in more locations but do it better. In it's category of cheap breakfast it isn't number 3 by any professional reviewer or person that I know who lives and eats in the Chicago.

Also, in spite of what you say, Alinea is the number two restaurant and it's stratospheric in it's prices and exclusivity. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get a reservation there and I live here. So it is not satisfying to a large number of people because they don't serve a large number of people. How did they make number 2 if this is a popular review site.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,033 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Chicago Resturant Rankings

Hi Richard;

What you’re talking about is the popularity rating. I think that you are confusing being ranked #1 as meaning the “best”. Being in first place in the rankings, means that a business is the most popular, based on its travellers reviews.

tripadvisor.com/help/how_does_the_popularity…

As an example - the #1 restaurant in town could be a McDonald’s. That doesn’t mean that it is the “best” restaurant in town, just that it is the most popular.

Best Regards

Mundelein, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Chicago Resturant Rankings

Hi Rescue,

I don't think you actually read my previous reply or at least didn't process the information it contained. In my reply I point out firstly there are many more popular restaurants in town. (I'm sure McDonald's would be among them.) and secondly the number 2 ranked restaurant is extremely exclusive and not at all popular due to it's extremely high price and difficulty in obtaining a reservation.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Chicago Resturant Rankings

Look, bud, it's a mathematical algorithm that takes into account how many reviews a place gets, recency of reviews, and ratings. None of us know what it is because we don't work for TA. Your question gets asked on this forum every couple of weeks. It doesn't matter if I've eaten in Chicago, because the same thing happens in virtually every city on the planet, large or small, to some extent. Personally, I don't much care about the rankings. I know what I want when I'm looking for a restaurant, so I'll find it regardless of any kind of "quirk" in the ranking system.

USA
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
257 reviews
6. Re: Chicago Resturant Rankings

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

I agree, you get some oddities when you run 200 million subjective opinions through a questionable computer algorithm. There was a time when a paintball activity was the #1 attraction in London.

7. Re: Chicago Resturant Rankings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 11:46