We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

Covington...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

What qualifies a property as a bed and breakfast? My husband and I stayed at a motel this past weekend that Trip Advisor lists under bed and breakfast category. It is NOT a bed and breakfast. It does not bring breakfast to your room nor does it have a dining room where breakfast is served. They have a tiny office where token breakfast items are offered and that's it. It's actually ranked higher than true b&b`s in the area. In fact, we have stayed at a true b&b that deserves to be ranked higher than this particular motel as it outshines it hands down. Could Trip Advisor possibly advise what your guidelines are? Thx.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! The category that you found that listing in is not "B&B", it is "B&B / Inn"" . You can find the guidelines for being listed under the B&B / Inns tab on this Help Center page:

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2107

An accommodation may also be listed under "B&B / Inn" if it "Is licensed specifically as that type of accommodation by either the local tourism board or governmental officials."

(from tripadvisor.com/help/… also in the Help Center)

The Help Center has a tiny link on the bottom of every TA page.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 19:56
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

Sorry, I missed the second part of your question. I also forgot to point out that I do not work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

You asked why this particular B&B or inn was ranked more highly than another in the same category. TA ranks businesses based on the reviews that they receive, rather than by sending inspectors to each property with a list of standardized criteria that are used for every property. So the rankings reflect the most recent reviews. TripAdvisor calls it their "Popularity Index". You can read more about the Popularity Index here:

…custhelp.com/app/…20index

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/299

Covington...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

The problem is that Our Place At The Beach is not a bed and breakfast facility. It's a motel. I'm not sure how they even got under the Bed & Breakfast category. I told my husband about this and he believes the same way that I do. They really should be listed under motels rather than bed & breakfast.

Covington...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

Okay, I read the guidelines. This doesn't make sense. I've stayed at plenty of true bed and breakfast facilities. To me, a true b&b either brings you your breakfast or has a dining room that serves a full breakfast. Just because a property has an office that offers breakfast items doesn't make them a true b&b (at least in my eyes). I'm very disappointed that the property, in question, received a higher rating than others that are true b&b's in the area. I know TripAdvisor doesn't have control over how people rate properties, but I believe readers would be unhappy if they got to a property believing that they were staying at a b&b (especially considering the price) when, in actuality, they weren't. Thanks.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,892 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

"Just because a property has an office that offers breakfast items doesn't make them a true b&b (at least in my eyes)."

You failed to read the name of the listing category properly. It is not B&Bs. It's B&B/Inns. You may have stayed in an Inn. Both B&Bs and Inns are lumped together in the same category.

" I'm very disappointed that the property, in question, received a higher rating than others that are true b&b's in the area."

Again, like Country_Wife mentioned, rankings are based on what members like you and me decide to rate a property. The fact that you found a B&B that you think is better but ranked lower than where you stay is irrelevant as many more other members wrote reviews which rated that place higher. All it means is that others disagree with your assessment. The ranking is popularity based. It has nothing to do with class of service. A no star hotel can be ranked no 1, based on popularity in an area, while a 5 star hotel can be ranked 20th.

Silvia

Edited: 08 July 2013, 20:50
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

According to the guidelines, the lodging in question fits the B&B/Inns category. I understand the OP's point, but as it stands, many motels, and small hotels for that matter, fit this criteria. I think a better suggestion here would be to classify motels as such and have them show up (as they do now) in the hotel search field. In other publications, "inns" are classified as "country inns" and, for all intents and purposes, offer the services and ambiance of a B&B while architecturally being closer to a motel or small hotel.

Again, the ranking has nothing to do with the property type. TA is not like Mobil, Frommers or AAA. Properties are not professionally assessed and rated. Ratings are user ratings, which are factored into the popularity index, thus generating a rank from 1-through-whatever.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

To qualify as a Hotel/Motel under TA rules a Hotel has to provide 24 hour Front desk service.

Although it has 24 hour staffing Our Place At The Beach only provides phone contact after 9pm which is probably why it has been listed as an Inn. The category is B&B *AND* Inn - not all properties will offer breakfast. It is not exclusively a B&B category

The vast majority of guests who have written reviews were positive about their stay hence leading to the high popularity rating and it being awarded Certificate of Excellence 2013 as a result

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

To be clear, I'm not disputing Our Place's rating. I am suggesting, though, that the classifications aren't always accurately reflecting the property type. I know with absolute certainty that there are motels that are listed here as hotels that do not have 24-hour front desk (I've stayed in some of them). This is why I want "motels" to have their own classification within the larger "hotels" grouping. They are not B&Bs, either, and it is rather misleading to see a property listed under B&B/Inns and find out that it is in fact a motel. Don't get me wrong, I like mom-and-pop motels, and I've stayed in many of them. I think, though, that TA has room to improve their lodging classifications.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,892 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

How do you know that Our Place at the Beach is the listing in question?

You can tell that is not a B&B just by looking at the photos and at the number of rooms in the description (26), regardless of in which category listing it was placed.

The problem I see with the suggestion, for example, of motels, motels are not necessary the same around the world. I know of at least a country where a 'motel' is by definition an hourly motel and not what we are used to in the US.

Silvia

Edited: 09 July 2013, 01:11
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bed and breakfast vs regular motel/hotel

@Expat: The OP named the business in #3. I thought that "Our Place at the Beach" might be a name used by several businesses on TA, but the OP reviewed the one in Washington, so there is no question about which listing they looked at. I also looked at Our Place's website, and I'm surprised that they offered breakfast at all, as I couldn't find any mention of it on their webpages.

Get answers to your questions