We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borderline defamatory response to my review...

Hunter Valley, NSW
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Borderline defamatory response to my review...

Why can I not add something to a review when a venue owner has posted an offensive response to my review? They have accused me of lying & making up a review to make them look bad & accused my husband of being untrustworthy & dishonest. I have documented proof to back up the claims I have made but I am unable to add these, or even an email address so other users can ask me to furnish them with this proof.

Why is this? Why does a dishonest, rude, unprofessional business owner get the final say?

I have contacted TA about the rude responses & the accusations the owner makes about unfavourable reviews being made up by local competitors in order to "steal" business from him but TA are yet to remove these responses so I'm guessing they don't care if an owner breaches the guidelines!

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
1. Re: Borderline defamatory response to my review...

Hi there

A couple of points:

<<Why can I not add something to a review when a venue owner has posted an offensive response to my review?>>

The reason is that TA gives each side one chance to make a comment, any more than that and where do they draw the line? It could go on and on each side accusing each other.

<<I have contacted TA about the rude responses & the accusations the owner makes about unfavourable reviews being made up by local competitors in order to "steal" business from him but TA are yet to remove these responses so I'm guessing they don't care if an owner breaches the guidelines!>>

How long ago did you contact TA?? They receive thousands of reviews every day, without the disputes, Management Responses etc etc... i would give them some time to respond. Don't forget that they will need to investigate the matter thoroughly before taking any action or the next thing you'll know is the business will be slating TA for removing their response without first investigating the authenticity :)

CB

Hunter Valley, NSW
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Borderline defamatory response to my review...

I contacted them about 5 or 6 weeks ago about the responses this guy gives...some of them are so rude!

I think a good idea would be, if you are giving a review of only 1 or 2 stars, have an option to provide documentation (in my case, rude emails from the owner, duplicate credit card charges, a medical certificate after my husband became unwell from paint fumes, etc)...that way, if the owner tries to claim that the review is fake TA can remove the response immediately as they have the proof already!

Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Borderline defamatory response to my review...

I would let the management comment stand, I have also looked at some of the place in questions other management comments. Says so much more about them than anything you have written.

No surprise they are also getting reviews entitled 'rude staff'!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Borderline defamatory response to my review...

what a great read those MRs were.

and people think bad reviews hurt a business. obviously a lot of people still stay at this establishment.

they breed 'em tough in tamworth!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,054 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Borderline defamatory response to my review...

75% of the reviews are poor and terrible! That manager has well shot himself in both feet and is working on his legs now. Most telling is the posted list at the front desk of reasons why reviews are negative. The best thing you can do is leave all of it in place. You have no control of those who stay without reading the reviews, but those who do probably don't stay there because of all that. If I were more crafty, I might consider writing reviews for those dreadful places that would bring out such a management response! Only to get 2 for 1 out of my review, of course. lolol.

Edited: 24 November 2012, 00:55
Hunter Valley, NSW
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Borderline defamatory response to my review...

Lol...you evil person! I like your thinking though!