We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficulty contacting TA

Pouance, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Difficulty contacting TA

The site sends you round and round in damned circles! Do they hope that you will eventually give up and not bother???

My real question is why do they restrict photos to 5MB? For better definition my camera takes them at just under 5.7 so I can't upload them. Shame really because I have some good views!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,411 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

In reality, any photo that is going to be displayed on a website does not need the high definition of the newest cameras. The higher definition only helps for printing enlargements of the photos, but not on the web. Just google this and you'll see. The ideal size for a web photo is probably not larger than 100kb.

TripAdvisor should allow uploading any size and reducing it automatically like other websites. A new photo uploader was visible for a while that automatically reduced the size of the file, but I haven't seen it for a while.

Silvia

Pouance, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

I have a simple Canon digital. It won't do anything other than over 5MB so I'm scuppered from ever adding a photograph to any of my imput!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,683 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

There are many online tools for resizing your photos. Or you can use your photo software; often cameras come with basic software programs which will let you resize your photos. I am very happy with Photoshop Elements, a stripped down version of the much more expensive Photoshop CS software..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

Additionly,, every digital camera I have purchased comes with photo editing software.

Pouance, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

IThanks folks. I have an Olympus Master 2 programme from long ago (when I had an Olympus). Can I use this and how does one convert without messing up what's stored in the pc?

TA are STILL difficult to get hold of though!

6. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2012, 03:34
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

I have Windows 7. So, I go into Pictures and make a copy of the picture. With the copied one, I can email it to myself and I'm asked what size, so I can then select "small".

L4

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,411 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

If you have a Mac, you can reduce the size of any pic with Preview.

Silvia

Pouance, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

I see that you have well-travelled this route - hello Fellow Traveller!

I'm a busy Editor so life is too short to play games, even though that sounds attractive.

If TA REALLY want to provide the service they say then why not put in a link for Contributors only (via, e.g,. your Profile) and have done with it. They are in danger of losing their Contributors if they are not careful.

Pouance, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difficulty contacting TA

Thanks Luckyfour. I'll give it a try but what a palaver when all TA have to do is either automatically resize - but there's no way of suggesting it because of their damned stupid site!

My previous post was for Hoogo by the way.