We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Increase the size of the content integrity team

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,330 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Increase the size of the content integrity team

Hi

See link below to an interesting article about TA

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Rating+hotel+user+reviews/5914578/story.html#ixzz1roi4U3Q3

which makes mention of

"Adam Medros, vice president of product for TripAdvisor, said the size of the website - along with a team of about 25 workers dedicated to "content integrity" - protects its accuracy"

With the vast number of reviews TA receives each TA together with the numerous reports of fake or dubious reviews from the community I would have thought this team should have been a bit bigger

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

I think 250 folk would struggle.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,024 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

…wordpress.com/2012/…

3. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 April 2012, 01:48
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

they should expand in this department. I like the two comments after, good ideas for weeding. this last part makes me wonder but I will believe in them.

"""The owner (of a hotel) and their friends will never be able to write enough reviews to tip the system," he said. "The sheer number of travellers will outweigh that. The system will heal itself."""

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,910 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

There are two rather contradictory statements in that article:

"Most hotels don’t have that many reviews on TripAdvisor, so it doesn’t take that long to read them all," he said. "If a bunch of people say the pool stinks or the workout room is as big as a closet, I might look elsewhere."

"The owner (of a hotel) and their friends will never be able to write enough reviews to tip the system," he said. "The sheer number of travellers will outweigh that. The system will heal itself."

If a hotel only has a few reviews then a few fake reviews can tip the balance for that hotel.

Is the content integrity team the people the people that supposedly vet reviews before they are made public or just those that handle the 'Review is suspicious' reports - either way I agree 25 seems a very small number considering the number or reviews, properties and languages on TA.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,330 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

Totally agree with the above poster that the two statements are contradictory

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

++here too. In the long run, credibility is everything. Adequate staffing of the content integrity team should be a priority; advertisers and members usually want to align themselves with organizations that match their value systems.

L4

Houston
Level Contributor
355 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

I agree that 25 people aren't enough to investigate content integrity. Computerized filters probably spit out a thousand problematic reviews on a daily basis, and the filters of course miss other reviews that are reported by members. Anything that can make it harder for fake reviewers would help.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

With only 25 staff doing this~we'll have to think of something really good for Staff Appreciation Day!

;-)

L4

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,330 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Increase the size of the content integrity team

They/we sure will L4