We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Twitter Factor

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
The Twitter Factor

Not sure if I imagined a link to Twitter on some TA reviewers photos the other day but I can't find any links now. It made me wonder whether TA have plans to incorporate Twitter into the social media aspect of the site in a similar way to Facebook. They are already pretty active on the micro-blogging site.

I know many are reluctant to embrace social media as a way to expand TA's profile, and its not without a few issues, but I think it would be a good idea to at least have a Twitter button on reviews or forum questions so a wider audience participation could be achieved, especially useful when an answer to a travel question is needed quickly.

I really like the new phone app and have made good use of it. Does anyone else think a Twitter link could be a useful addition too?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Twitter Factor

Purple,

Sorry if I sound like a twit, but how many characters are you allowed on Twitter?

L4

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Twitter Factor

140 characters max, but if you tweet a link, for example an article from a newspaper or bbc website, it gets automatically shortened.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Twitter Factor

Take a minute to look at some of the newer reviews for attractions - those that have been posted through the "instant" rate/review on the pop-under.

Don't those remind you of 'tweets'?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Twitter Factor

Yes, HB and it's concerning.

L4

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,251 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Twitter Factor

I don't think that Purple C is suggesting that TripAdvisor allows reviews posted from Tweeter.

I agree that being able to tweet a review or a forum post is a good idea. It's one more way of sharing with friends and family. Whether we like or not, social media is only prone to grow further: it's here to stay.

I can't image, however, how it could be implement though. I have use tweet and retweet for links to articles I read on the web, but they're on a single page; there is a single URL. Review pages have ten reviews each, with no anchors. Forum threads don't have anchors either.

Maybe for reviews it could be added next to the blue camera on each line of our profile?

The issue with these tweet like reviews, Half-Brit, could be so easily solved by required a minimum of 500 characters to submit a review! If you don't have enough to share, then don't share. These people are affecting the ratings on TA big time!

Silvia

Edited: 07 February 2012, 08:35
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Twitter Factor

Hi Silvia,

Purple was saying 140 characters maximum for a tweet. HB and I were saying that some of the reviews were looking like tweets (they were very short). I'd hope that you couldn't tweet a review as I'd think it would just encourage more one sentence reviews.

L4

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,251 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Twitter Factor

L4,

140 characters is for the link you would paste in your tweet to share the review in Twitter, not to write a review.

Silvia

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Twitter Factor

I don't know that I see it being implemented as a way to post to forums, but it could be a way for some members to do real time mini trip reports. I actually don't use Twitter, and frankly, I don't plan to. Yet, there are a lot of people who do and perhaps some may want to get involved in the up-to-the-millisecond updating as part of the travel community.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Twitter Factor

I'd hope that you couldn't tweet a review as I'd think it would just encourage more one sentence reviews

=======

Well, thats put the idea in managements mind then.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Twitter Factor

@Silvia: thanks for the clarification.

@Joe: lol

L4