We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

If you choose to 'ignore' a given user, it would not display their posts for you. Or at the very least, collapse their posts behind a link.

I bet this might help out on the moderation load and having to settle on-board fights.

-Noah

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

In theory I agree with you Noah, but the reality is that the IGNORE function can result in garbled conversations as not all the participants in the discussion are reading the same discussion!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

It would be an optional feature, of course. If you find it garbles the flow of a thread, you could always either click the link of the collapsed thread so you could read what you are missing, or just turn the ignore off.

-Noah

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

Sounds good in theory, but I'm sure I couldn't resist the temptation to see what the ignored poster was saying about me!

Especially if other un-ignored posters continue to respond to them.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

Well, that's good for one person, but what do you do about the other guy who discombobulates the discussion by leaving it on? Ignore him? That compounds the problem, rather than solving it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

Bu, seems like we already have that. It's just a risk of talking to people. Sometimes people don't listen to what you are saying and ask the same question, it happens and no one dies.

I think the benefit would far outweigh an inconvenience it would cause.

-Noah

6. Re: Suggestion: an Ignore User feature for the forums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 10:49
Get answers to your questions