We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Show ratings over time?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Show ratings over time?

Right now a property's overall score is based on all reviews submitted over time. Perhaps it would be useful for the site to indicate how reviews have fluctuated over time?

Suppose you have a lousy hotel that eventually improves over time and becomes a decent property. Is it fair for that property to be weighed down by negative reviews posted years ago that no longer accurately represent the property? On the other hand, what if you have a hotel that used to be first class that has gone downhill in recent years? Wouldn't the high scores now be misleading?

Just an idea...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,164 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Show ratings over time?

TA_DanW told us that the way the ratings are calculated is a proprietary secret, closely guarded by Ollie the Owl and his crack squad of Owlbeast goons. For all we know, the age of the review is already factored into the ratings. But a good point, nevertheless.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Show ratings over time?

I seldom follow their ratings at the top they seem random. I do check to see if there has been renovations done and I look closely when the reviews are vastly different. Two hotels I know of,example;

One wasn't great but was completely renovated and is now beautiful. I looked up the hotel for myself on other sites and found it to be true. Another woman grumbled at me for not recommending a motel at the shore, I knew that it had gone down the tubes. I was sure to have her check out other sites,too. She was rather nasty, perhaps I should have let her find the bedbugs for herself (excuse a moment of weakness)

Cross referencing is always a good idea, blind trust not so great. I've seen poor reviews because they had the wrong cookies or the walk was too far.

There are always people who just like to complain and people who haven't travelled a lot and are satisfied with somethings that would bother others.

Those little circles at the top are okay, but they get me ranting, excuse that. Balance them for yourself, it's better that way.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Show ratings over time?

Adding to book's comments, I do think it would be a good idea for there to be a tab or link that would show a line graph of the review ratings and their dates.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Show ratings over time?

I wonder how such a rolling rating over time, would be affected by an individual hotel's pricing. For example, I stayed at a 4-star hotel in SF last January that was undergoing renovations. Instead of paying $359/night I paid only $99/night (I know..jealous much?) :)

I, and a lot of other people, got in on that deal and as such - I think we tended to rate this hotel pretty high. The renovations didn't affect us, and we got to enjoy a great deal. So a rolling graph over time would have shown that hotel greatly improving during that renovation period. Some people might not have enjoyed being at a hotel during renovation, and seeing the improving ratings, may have booked there and been disappointed.

Same thing for after the reservation. The price goes back up (or even higher) and the ratings return to normal. Now that rolling graph goes down a bit - even though the hotel has been renovated and is much better than before. People might see that decline in the graph and think something has gone wrong at the hotel.

I'm not saying 'no' to the rolling rating graph - just that if people focus on the graph and not the actual reviews, they may not get a true picture of what the property is like.

-Noah

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Show ratings over time?

Oh, and one other consideration to a graph: I know of at least one TA member here who only posts "hatchet jobs" on hotels she doesn't like. She never posts a good review, I think it is her way of getting back at perceived slights by the hotel.

Let's say a hotel is not reviewed often, and has an average to good rating. She comes along, gets upset over something the rest of us would think trivial (and we can see that by the review) and she rates the hotel a 1-star.

The graph, not being buffered by other more sane reviews, trends down based on that one review. Has the property changed? Possibly not, but because they don't get reviewed very often, the graph looks bad.

Again - not saying the graph is a bad idea, but I think casual viewers of the TA website would tend to look at the graph and make an assumption on that, instead of reading the individual reviews like us dyed-in-the-wool-travel-researchers do. :)

-Noah

Who likes all kinds of travel tools, including graphs.

6. Re: Show ratings over time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 20:53