We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,101 posts
111 reviews
Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

I'd like to see a blue link when I type the name of a forum.

Many new posters don't know the existance of many or where to post to get the best information for their request.

A hyperlink when the title is typed in a reply would save a lot of people a lot of time explaing how to find them.

Giving the whole kit and caboodle ie the World forum list takes forever to find the one place you want if you don't understand the structure of the forums.

12 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,460 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

Sound like a very sensible idea

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

I dunno. Do I really want to see blue hyperlinks on every single place name in every single post? Because pretty much every major city, state, province and country has a forum.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the suggestion.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,460 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

"Maybe I'm misunderstanding the suggestion"

I think you are. The way I read it was that when someone posts on here asking for some travel advise as they are going to Alaska when we reply directing them to the appropriate forum the forum name would become a hyperlink and it would save us them having to post the link to the forum

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,101 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

Spot on Flipflopman

Yes, so when I type Support Forum it would hyperlink and the OP could just click on that to get there.

There seem to be a lot of towns here too that aren't linked because when someone posts about a place asking for advice I don't know where it is and without that link I then have to go to a new tab and dr google.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
326 reviews
5. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

Since a lot of people don’t bother to read how to use forums or look to see if their question has previously been asked, do you think they would use a hyperlink? It would be helpful if people would use it.

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

Yes - but wouldn't the hyperlink be there every single time you typed the word "Alaska"? Also Juneau, Ketchikan, and Anchorage? Maybe if some other combination were required, such as adding the word "forum" immediately after the name.

Otherwise, it would just be another version of the annoying tiles and existing hyperlinks that we already get, except these would all go to forums, not reviews.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,551 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

I like the idea. The upcoming blue link for the Vancouver Forum for example would need to be introduced, explained, pointed out though. Sometimes people are so happy just to have been able to post a question, they don't quite know how to interpret a reply or what to do next. As well, the link would need to be set up by TA to go to the forum page, not the tourism page.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

Just noticed when a member mentions a place in a posting I now get "Mentioned in this post " with a photo link really annoying

Also if a new question under the posting "Travellers interested in this topic also viewed..." and that is really awful

messes up the flow of the posting s !!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

weird just got the robot signed back in and now back to normal !

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
54,537 posts
1,819 reviews
10. Re: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.

I would welcome hyperlinks to TA Forums.

As said, I feel obligated to find the forum, and link to that - IF I know which one is appropriate. So many folk are doing, say a trip to Europe, where many city (or country) forums could come into play.

Good idea!

Hunt

Reply to: Hyperlink when a forum title is posted.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted