We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verified Member

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Verified Member

Dear Sir,

I have one suggestion. Why not have a validate / verified account for some TripAdvisor free member to upgrade? e.g.:-

1. Members are required to pay a small amount e.g. of USD10 for validation process fees.

2. Members are required to send a copy of National Identity Card or National Passport for validation.

3. Members are required to send a copy of Utility Bills with their names on the bill for validation purpose. Once the applicant meets all the requirements above, then TripAdvisor will give them a special Logo or Badges somewhere on their profile picture. This is to tell other members or users that, the particular member has been validated or verified by TripAdvisor and Trusted.

Of Course, it will be easier for validated/verified members to get help from TripAdvisor helper when they are asking for any assistance in restorating or retrieving their accounts if accounts are lost.

Hope that my suggestion will help or improve TripAdvisor in managing the accounts.

16 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,522 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Verified Member

Hi Alfred;

You've posted an idea, but you have NOT explained why TA should implement your idea.

Please explain to me, a user of the site for the last 12 years, what would be the benefit of me subscribing to your idea.

Best Regards

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
723 reviews
2. Re: Verified Member

As questioned in Post 1 - why?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,470 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Verified Member

What are the benefits and do you honestly believe a US$10 fee would pay for the huge admin costs?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
326 reviews
4. Re: Verified Member

Personally, there is no way would be sending anyone copies of my utility bills or my passport for some “enhanced” service.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,522 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Verified Member

I wouldn't either, but I would really like to understand what the logic is behind the OP's suggestion.

Edited: 15 August 2018, 23:07
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,470 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: Verified Member

Hi again

Even if the OP were a verified member I would not be taking any notice of their reviews as the are little more than tweets

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18,064 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: Verified Member

Alfred L

I’m sorry, but if you really think I’m going to pay a single Penny, Dime, Dirham or Ringgit, and send Tripadvisor a copy of my passport and a recent utility bill , to enable me to read the sort of 2 or 3 sentence reviews you’ve written recently, then I’m sorry but you are sorely mistaken!

My passport is a matter between me and my Governent, my utility bills are my business, and after over 13 years as a TA Member I’ll be darned if I have to jump through the sort of intrusive and absurd hoops you are suggesting.

If , as seems likely from your penultimate paragraph , you have at some time in the past had difficulty with your account, all you had to do:was ask members for help., and we very much “ unverified “ members would have been happy to assist you.

I’m not jumping through silly hoops to continue my membership of a free to join and free to use website on which I’ve spent a lot of time trying to help people , pro bono, who have genuine queries.

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
75 reviews
8. Re: Verified Member

What on earth would be the point? Say I look on your reviews and posts and pictures, and I see you're a Verified Member. So what? I know you're who you say you are, but I don't know if you actually stayed where you claimed to have stayed, or did what you claimed to do, ate what you claimed to eat. When you post on the forums, I have no idea if you know what you're talking about or get it all wrong or just like making stuff up.

So again, what would be the point?

I can think of plenty of good reasons for websites to offer a paid version and a free version. There might even be some good reasons for TA to consider it. But what you're describing isn't a good reason, IMO. And there is no way on earth I would give TA my money or more importantly, put my personal information out there to them and the whole wide world, for this.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: Verified Member

1.) No.

2.) Hell no.

3.) See #2.

How would this benefit me in any way?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,715 posts