We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

I mean, that seems like an obvious category

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,226 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

No forum to talk about hotels in general. I'm not sure what you would do with that. What do you envision folks talking about on a "Hotels Forum"?

There are forums for just about every city, town, village, etc. Talk about hotels in those specific locations on those specific forums.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

For information on specific hotels, read any of the millions of reviews. Also, if you scroll towards the bottom of each listing, you can ask specific questions about an individual hotel. As PNW mentioned, there are already many hotel questions asked on the destination forums. Given that, I'm not sure what purpose a forum aimed at hotels would serve. Please clarify.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,788 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

I don't see the use for a general forum about hotels.

Now there is a forum about train travel. Sometimes (rarely) I go have a look for any questions regarding the destination that I know best. It is pretty obvious to me that the questions should have been asked in the destination forum where there is a lot of expertise. I find the answers in the rail forum to be poor and ill-informed. Often answers are from people who have never been to the country.

Same here. If you have a question about hotels in Shanghai, better ask someone who knows Shanghai than someone who "knows hotels".

Edited: 23 July 2017, 20:24
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,744 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

>>>I find the answers in the rail forum to be poor and ill-informed<<<

Quite a broad statement.

Don't agree with this at all

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

well, we could talk about the trump hotel in chicago not honoring their mistake on booking.com

It's funny because if they overcharged someone, they wouldn't fix it

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,744 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

You could post that on the Chicago destination forum, and also review the hotel in question. If you've got documented evidence of an overcharge, dispute it with your CC provider

Edited: 23 July 2017, 21:02
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

If I'm reading this correctly, you basically want a place complain about hotels. KVE has the correct answer. Issues with specific hotels, positive and negative, should be addressed in reviews. Anything relevant to hotels but outside of review guidelines should be addressed within the appropriate destination forum.

Take a look at the current "Beyond Destination" forums. They are topic based with a focus on specific types of travel. A couple of them have certainly grown a branch of unending complaints which detract from their original purpose. However, the usefulness of those forums is evident when the topics are rationally discussed and explored. I don't think that there are enough general hotel related topics **separate from reviews, Q&A, and destination-specific questions** to sustain any sort of legitimate on-topic discussion. I'm usually in favor of more forums, but in this case, I don't think it would be of any real benefit to users.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,788 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

"Quite a broad statement.

"Don't agree with this at all" - Ok, I did not check every post. But for the destinations that I know quite well, the answers were indeed poor. Quality of answers would have been much much better if asked in the destination forum where there is ton of expertise. The answers that I saw appeared to be from people who had never been in the country and just searched on the internet.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,104 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

There are some very good answers and a ton of useful information in the Train Travel forum, JP. I don't read or comment on threads that involve anywhere that I'm not familiar with personally, so I can't comment on those, but for the countries I do know well, I'm quite happy with the quality of that forum.

Naturally, there are replies that are wrong, and need correcting, but the majority of posts are well informed and accurate, especially from the regulars.

I can see that some discussions would take place in a hotels forum. I think they would largely focus on industry matters, or very general discussions on what makes a good hotel, what facilities it shoudl have and so on. I don't think it would be very busy, and I don't think TA would be very interested in setting such a forum up, sorry.

Edited: 25 July 2017, 12:53
10. Re: Am I missing it or is there not a Hotels forum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2018, 09:47
Get answers to your questions