We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The correct placing of the location pointer.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Topic
The correct placing of the location pointer.

Whilst looking for a restaurant recently,i have had to readjust the map location pointer....for instance,yesterday,i was looking for a village pub within a couple of miles of my home town and somebody had listed this particular pub restaurant to a town 15 miles away(this pub was 2 miles away)....and it happens on a frequent basis.Please can people listing properties take a little more care when they are placing the location pointers as i have corrected over 20 now.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,529 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The correct placing of the location pointer.

Gosh, shane, I am amazed that you have managed to get anything on TA changed at all.

I don't necessarily think that it is the folk who request listings that get this stuff wrong, either. TA has many many just totally inaccurate listings, it seems accuracy is not one of their strengths.

Going back a few years, I spent some time trying to get a few listings in my area sorted out. After much effort, one was corrected, the rest were left as they were.

I gave up after that - if TA don't care about their own website, why should I?

Frankly, banging my head on a brick wall was less painful.

I really admire you for persevering, though, that is fab.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The correct placing of the location pointer.

We were out looking for a garden centre quite recently in a village called Grendon which is about 4 miles from where we live.All seemed quite right as we looked it up on here with Grendon Northants etc etc on the description.We set out and drove around the village for 30 minutes asking a few people on route who had never heard of this centre.....we looked again and googled that garden centre....which was in Birmingham(about 70 miles away)so someone had got all the info correct but misplaced the locator miles away!My fault for relying on it in the first place!Cheers Essex.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,195 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The correct placing of the location pointer.

Shane,

As it seems that few TA subscribers are capable of even spelling the name of a property correctly when submitting a request for a Listing, I am surprised when they get the location correct, regarding the continent, let alone the township.

Now, as TA seems so very strict, on getting all of the possible info, and checking the veracity 100%, for a Listing, I cannot imagine how they end up with 100's of duplicate, and totally incorrect Listings. It boggles my mind.

I guess that after a few pints, folk remember the Blind Tiger Pub, as the Black Tiger Pub. Hey, they got "Tiger" correct!

Good luck, and yes, getting the name, and location correct, should be important.

Hunt

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
1,584 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The correct placing of the location pointer.

Thank you Hunt.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The correct placing of the location pointer.

There's a related issue with place names that occur more than once. For example in the UK there is a place called Prestbury near Macclesfield, Cheshire and another Prestbury near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

The TA page for Prestbury Cheshire:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g49951…

has a map of the Gloucestershire version. Clicking through from that page to listings I get:

Accommodation - Cheshire

Holiday Rentals - Gloucestershire

Things to do - Cheshire

Restaurants - initially comes up with those "within 25 miles of Prestbury" - Gloucestershire, until I restrict to Prestbury and then I get those in Cheshire

Forum - Cheshire

The view on map options take me to Gloucestershire, as well.

Edited: 06 May 2017, 20:03
6. Re: The correct placing of the location pointer.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2018, 09:48