We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,655 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
"Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

The Canada drop down menu is pretty good, asking people to choose a province or a territory.

Once in a province forum, I find the drop down menu gets a bit tricky. If we regulars are wondering about TA's choices, what hope is there for the traveller coming to the forums to ask a question.

Once in the "regional?" forum, one can choose the city subforum.

Example for my region --

Canada > British Columbia > Okanagan Valley > Kelowna/Penticton/Vernon/Osoyoos as well as the ski resorts of Big White/Silver Star. Now hiding Big White and Silver Star under the Okanagan Valley Forum may not be the wisest thing. Best to be visible under British Columbia.

Canada > British Columbia > Kitimat-Stikine District > Kitimat/New Aiyansh/New Hazelton/Klemtu/Stewart/Terrace. Same thing. I think Kitimat-Stikine District is something a government office would use, not a traveller.

For the towns in the West Kootenays, the towns have been hidden in the Kootenay Rockies Forum. Looking for Creston, Revelstoke, Nelson, Nakusp and Glacier NP will give travellers a run for their money.,

There are a few more examples, but the point is that some of these rearranged destinations lead to greater obscurity and likely more questions coming to the wrong forum. If someone can't find the Penticton Forum, they will likely mis-post in the British Columbia Forum.

As well, when they do research for their trip, they will likely miss a swatch of posts because of these "alcoves" of regions.

I'm wondering what the rationale was for this rearrangement. In BC, a drop down menu for cities would do the job better. Don't know about other destinations. For the UK, the drop downs take one to countries plus the Channel Island and the Isle of Man. Except the UK Forum cheats a wee bit. It is not necessary to choose a country. All the destinations in the UK are listed: London, Edinburgh, Scotland, Isle of Wight. This new design is not consistent throughout the forums then.

Not sure this format is very helpful to the traveller or what other odd categories are out there.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,358 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

Great points.

The "reorganization" of Destination Forums has become a very bad joke.

TA has caused more issues, than I could have imagined, but not cleaned up the mess, that went before. No. They messed up even more.

Cleanup needs to be done, but they seem to have gotten it all wrong.

Just my observation.

Hunt

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,655 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

Victoria, the capital city of British Columbia cannot be found in the BC Forum unless following this pathway:

British Columbia > Vancouver Island > Victoria Capital Regional District Travel Forum > Victoria. I kid you not!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,358 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

Wow, that is a winding "breadcrumb trail." I doubt that I would have figured that out, and know TA, and geography fairly well.

I believe that these changes are a true case of "What WERE they thinking?!"

As pointed out on a similar thread, TA left two sub-forums for Rhode Island, two for Ski Lake Tahoe, and one, which has only had one post, since about 2005, for Lake Champlain. Why leave those, and mess up so many more?

Just puzzling,

Hunt

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,655 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

To get to the Phoenix Forum, the route is:

AZ > Central Arizona Forum > Phoenix (along with Tempe, Apache J, Sun C, and Wickenburg.

SEA has a stand alone forum just for the airport under WA State, but PHX does not.

I think about the novice and intermediate members, on phones or the App, trying to navigate the forums.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

A perfect example of the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I now find the best way to navigate to a specific forum is to do a Google search for "TA forum" then the town name. I find it quicker and more accurate than working through the regions, states, provinces, especially with a country I am not familiar with.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

France is now a mess. As an example, Bordeaux, the 9th largest city in France by population is hidden in France/Nouvelle-Aquitane Forums/Gironde/Bordeaux. Aquitane has nothing below it but still includes many posts for Bordeaux. This is not an exception, but the norm. I will refrain from asking who is the brain-dead moron who thought this was a good idea.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,655 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

People are going to have to know their geography! In the Mexico forums today, I see many new posts being made to the State Forums. People are not going any further to a city forum.

Not sure why some cities are listed as themselves, but some cities are hidden under "Greater [City] Region."

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,516 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

Its just bizarre. If I go to the Western Australia forum there is now just a really weird list of "cities/towns" of about 40 in total.

Some are islands with no humans living on them and certainly no accommodation, one is a farm on a cross road that is famous solely because its in a classic song, two are full blown regions that are the size of some Euro countries.

Technically WA is divided (for tourism purposes) into 5 regions per the map here westernaustralia.com/au/…Destinations.aspx

So

Perth & surrounds

South west

Golden Outback

Coral Coast

NorthWest

As can be seen from this list there are a darn sight more than 40ish towns/cities in WA

https:/…List_of_towns_in_Western_Australia

Whatever this current change the geographical challenged Trip Advisor intern has done - its not going to work for locals or tourists alike. Its terrible.

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

Complete and utter mess.

I don't know why TA expects visitors to a place to be so intimately acquainted with the geography of a place. Heck, we in CA have a hard enough time getting posters to understand that Vegas is in a different state, that the Grand Canyon is not next to Vegas (and also in another different state), and that Yosemite is not on the coast. I don't know how posters are going to find anything at all now.

Just nonsense.

Edited: 02 May 2017, 02:57
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,906 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Jump to a more specific forum:" is now a bit of a mess

Eeee gads! Who organized it and I wonder how much they got paid to create all this chaos. I hadn't realized because I just go down the "Israel,Forum" Israel is not that big and I am very very familiar with the geography. Israel is also divided into areas, by the government of Israel. Apparently TA knows better.😬

Please TA go back to the old way.