We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not support fraud.

Rayong Province...
2 posts
Do not support fraud.

TripAdvisor could be better if it would stop recommending Skytours ticketing agent company. Skytours is a fraudulent company and should be investigated. By referring travelers to this company TripAdvisor is damaging its image.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,320 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Do not support fraud.

TripAdvisor doesn't "recommend" companies. Many companies do advertise on here and it's up to us members to check on them/research them a little before making a booking. By researching them we can check on their reputation.

When you say SkyTours is a "fraudulent company" do you mean they don't actually exist and the name is just a front for someone taking people's money/scamming them? Or do you mean they are a legitimate business but are just hopeless and unreliable and don't offer good service?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,342 posts
1,800 reviews
2. Re: Do not support fraud.

OP,

When you see an ad in the Daily Times Gazette, do you trust that the newspaper has thoroughly investigated, and now fully endorse that advertiser?

I do not, and then do my due diligence, before spending my money.

Good luck,

Hunt

Rayong Province...
2 posts
3. Re: Do not support fraud.

Bill_Hunt_AZ and Avanti_SG, thanks for reply. Your comments on due diligence and definition of fraud are truly helpful. However any company on Internet under pretense of selling you a flight ticket cheating out of you complete set of personal data: DOB, Name, Passport No, Validity, Credit card No, etc. and leaving you in suspense -- steals your identity, your full personal data and has a perfect opportunity for illegal use of it.

I think it should be investigated. And, by the way, when you are redirected by TripAdvisor to this site automatically I think the research and due diligence should be exercised by TripAdvisor. Aren't we all here trying to make it better?

;

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,320 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Do not support fraud.

How did you get "redirected by TripAdvisor to this site automatically"?. Didn't you have any choice or click on their name and price? How could it done without your knowledge or control?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Do not support fraud.

<<<<How did you get "redirected by TripAdvisor to this site automatically"?. Didn't you have any choice or click on their name and price? How could it done without your knowledge or control?>>>

Exactly.

Folks just seem to prefer to divert their blame anywhere else rather than take some basic personal responsibility.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,023 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Do not support fraud.

Many companies advertise in magazines, newspapers, on search engines like Kayak and Skyscanner, and in TA. Sky-Tours is an OTA (Online Travel Agent) and company you don't know. It is always a good idea to do a search for a company you have never used before, especially with a lot of money involved.

You could not have been redirected automatically to Sky-Tours, you would have to have clicked or touched a button/link. I did some checking on this company a few minutes ago. I was using a search engine and happily getting information about flying from different cities to different cities to see if Sky-Tours would appear as a ticketing choice. I found myself getting a little frustrated. The display of flight options had changed a little bit. I wasn't expecting this and I know about booking online. I thought I was on the same search page where I started. Imagine my surprise when I saw that somehow I had opened a new page to a different OTA. I had clicked a button. It is easy to do. It's important to know which website you are on all the time.

I looked in the Air Travel Forum for any threads on Sky-Tours. I found one. Here is the link: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,042 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Do not support fraud.

Abredant, you ar eresponsible for following links and search results. You aren't redirected to or forced to choose any site. Has this company actually stolen your identity, or are you just annoyed that the possibility is there that they could? In other words, do you think that a crime has been committed or not?

Let's face up to the reality. If you are going to buy a flight ticket, then you have to provide some personal information. I can't think of a way around that. So the way to do it is to make carefully choices and informed decisions rather than just going click, click, click, buy ona site that you;ve seen without knowing anything about that company.

Do not rely on others doing due diligence for you. It's not going to happen. Always take responsibility for protecting yourself and your money. Do that and your chances of being worried about being scammed, having your identity stolen, or countless other things will be greatly reduced in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Do not support fraud.

^^^^ +1 !!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,070 posts
839 reviews
9. Re: Do not support fraud.

While it is true that a magazine or newspaper does not endorse companies that place ads in them nor do they investigate them, when informed that one of their advertisers is conducting a fraudulent operations, they would ban them from their pages.

IF there is such a problem with a TA ad, one would expect a respectable company to act on it as well.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,126 posts
113 reviews
10. Re: Do not support fraud.

JPDeM,

Where is it demonstrated that the company complained about is involved in fraudulent activities? To me it seems that, from the scant information provided, it is not much different from any other OTA, with unwarranted suspected fraud allegations now levelled against it.