We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

make Tripadvisor better

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
make Tripadvisor better

I'd like to know what people currently think of a place. The star rating system gets skewed over time. It's hard for new places to get good ratings on the "best of" lists when old established places show up first, even if their quality has diminished.

Therfore I believe old reviews should be removed. I'm not sure what the criteria for cut-off should be - maybe 2 years.

Keep tripadvisor current. Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,558 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: make Tripadvisor better

Yes, some old reviews are useless to me. I only really look at the past 6 months of reviews of a hotel to get an idea of what it's like.

To get current opinion you can also ask other members questions on the Destination forums, and Beyond Destination forums. Do you know about the hundreds of forums on here?

Here's a link to the forums homepage below where you can find a specific city forum, ask for up to date opinion, recommendations and check information. We all volunteer our time to help each other plan our trips -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ForumHome

England, United...
Level Contributor
16,087 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: make Tripadvisor better

Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled by your post.

You have 2 reviews from 2013 and one from 2015.

Do you consider they should now be removed, or do you feel they are valid, relevant, and helpful to other members?

Mon

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: make Tripadvisor better

It allows a seasoned member see how a business has improved or slid down hill over time.... their not going to pull any reviews from listings because of their age.They do degrade over time to how they effect ranking however..but they are not going to pull their members contributions because of their age.

SC

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: make Tripadvisor better

Why not just leave the old reviews as it is, and stop reading when you have reached a point where they're too old to be useful to you? Likewise, allow others to do the same. There is no magic number to determine the exact point when a review becomes useless, especially given that some places aren't reviewed as often. Are you aware that reviews depreciate over time in terms of what they mean to the rankings?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: make Tripadvisor better

I agree with e_c. I don't think that there should be some arbitrary point where reviews are removed. it should be left to each individual to decide how far they wish to go back, and don't forget that some places don't get that many reviews.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,526 posts
1,672 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: make Tripadvisor better

I also have zero objection to keeping older Reviews, except for instances where the property has undergone a major refurb, or a change in management - but TA already takes those cases into consideration, and accommodates the changes.

As for Ratings/Rankings, I feel that they Can be skewed by older Reviews, but view those as a "beauty contest," or a popularity fest, and ignore them.

I do my research, rather like Avanti mentions, in that I look several months back. Then, I use the provided filters, to view Terrible, Poor, etc Reviews, and especially if the majority of recent Reviews are at the upper end of the spectrum.

So far, that method has worked well for me.

Hunt

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,848 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: make Tripadvisor better

Hi adrh;

There are three things that factor into the popularity index;

• the number of reviews

• how favourable the reviews are

• how old or recent the reviews are

Reviews depreciate over time so an older review, good or bad, does not factor in as much as a newer one. It's not just a simple mathematical average of all the review’s ratings.

tripadvisor.com/help/how_does_the_popularity…

Best Regards

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,158 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: make Tripadvisor better

Some places are seasonal and it can be helpful to see comments from the same period as a planned visit going back a few years - eg for a garden where you may be interested in whether there's much to see in the winter for example.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: make Tripadvisor better

agreed.

10. Re: make Tripadvisor better

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 February 2017, 11:22