We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
577 reviews
Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

I am one of the top contributors at Tripadvisor, but since November last year I have stopped adding new reviews.

The reasoning behind is that we, "the contributors", do all the work (I have written almost 600 reviews so far) and the owners of Tripadvisor collect all the profits without sharing anything with us.

The more than 60,000 TripCollective points I have in my account are basically worth nothing.

So I believe it is time for a change.

Contributors should start getting paid for the time they spend, especially when they collect helpful votes (I have more than 200 of those), meaning that their reviews made a difference to someone.

Until I hear from Tripadvisor that things are changing, they will not see a new review from me.

Sincerely, Bob.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,901 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

TA is free to join, free to use, makes no charge for the pleasure you seem to have derived from posting your reviews, and is entirely free to leave if you don't want to participate any more.

Nobody promised any of us tangible rewards when we became members, and I very much doubt that TA will be persuaded to change things just because you are threatening that you will stop reviewing.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,020 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

You get to use all the resources of the TripAdvisor website for free.

You get to read the large number of traveller articles, itineraries and trip reports, for free.

You get access to TEN’s of millions of accommodation, attraction and restaurant reviews, for free.

You get the advice of numerous people from all around the world, on the multitude of forums, for free.

As recently commented by fellow user “Alaskanfly”;

“And just remember it wasn’t too long ago that you would have paid a travel agent to give you less than 1% of the information that’s available to you today on TA.”

Thousands of other contributors of this website, including myself, do NOT feel the need to be rewarded in any way, other than having unlimited access to TripAdvisor, in the many ways I have posted above.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,582 posts
3. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

did you get a contract when you joined TA? How much do you think your reviews are worth, £1 each ,more less? be interested to know.

BTW I will not charge you for this reply like everything else I contribute on TA I do it for the reciprocal posts and reviews other members make that help me in my travels.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,422 posts
1,618 reviews
4. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

I can just picture Bob wearing a tripadvisor baseball cap mind you......can any of you big guns organise a bit of memorabilia for our top contributor friend??

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

Bob,

I'll keep this short because, frankly, I've grown tired of this topic. You/we are not paid employees of TA. We are not under contract with TA. We are not trained by TA to say things in their name. TA is an internet platform, no different than Facebook, Yahoo, or Newsmax. You opine here and you "speak your mind" here, just like you would on any other site. As per those other sites, you don't deserve to be paid. Here's a little secret. Facebook makes a lot of money, too. I don't see anyone asking them for a check. Sorry, pal. It's a bad idea and I cannot and will not support it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,342 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

I'm guessing the OP will stop contributing but won't say much about using the free access and information on TA.

It would be much more refreshing if someone stated their demand, and also say they'll never use TA for sourcing information either. But that's never the case.

Effectively it's all about greed.

Edited: 15 February 2017, 21:31
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,095 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

Bob, I don't wish to be a rude as you are clearly a newcomer o the forums, but this is raised very frequently. Have a read at some of the other threads where someone has suggested rewards, and look at the replies. I'm sure you'll get more of an idea why people are against it, although there are some excellent responses here as well.

The bottom line is, if you don't want to write reviews, that's fine. It's entirely up to you. In fact, I don't really want to read reviews form people who are only motivated by what they can get for writing them.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,901 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

Roj,

The OP was happy to use TA resources for free last year to ask a question about a destination, and received helpful information, for free, from another TA member...

The expression " profit envy" crops up here from time to time, and it tends to refer to members who want paying for their reviews but who wouldn't dream of paying a subscription fee if TA charged one.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,391 posts
1,800 reviews
9. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

Bob,

Has so,etching changed?

What was the reason, that you started posting Reviews, in the first place?

What has changed, over the time that you have been posting Reviews?

Were you ever paid? I know that from 2005, until now, I never have been, at least beyond a pair of TA luggage tags, that I had forgotten about, no just found, when cleaning out a drawer.

With the exception of a few, ill-conceived schemes (IMHO), no one else gets paid anything, nada.

They do it, in the hopes of helping others, and making TA more useful for those, who also travel - no other rewards.

Hunt

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,095 posts
478 reviews
10. Re: Time for Tripadvisor to start sharing

>>>Roj,

The OP was happy to use TA resources for free last year to ask a question about a destination, and received helpful information, for free, from another TA member...<<<

Yes, that's a good point. Presumably the idea would be that TA, not Bob, would reward people for providing forums posts and reviews? Even though everyone benefits form the information that's being shared here?

Count me out, whatever the source of the rewards.