We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advisor Policy

St Helens
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Trip Advisor Policy

I have just enjoyed yet another excellent holiday at Seaside Los Jameos Playa. I submitted a review but a pop up message informed me that I must wait three months as I have already reviewed this hotel. Why operate such a restrictive policy, Trip Advisor? Don't you want your customers to have the latest information? And why inform submitters AFTER they have submitted their review that this time limitation is in force? Do it at the beginning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
869 posts
2,126 reviews
1. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

Excellent suggestions both.

The warning sometimes comes up before posting a Review, but not always. On my browser, 75% give me the warning first; on the others, after I've written the review.

This may be a glitch or it may be the warning is given for some categories like restaurants and not for others like Resorts.

Also, three months is too long -- many things can happen over that period, and visitors may forget to post immediately after the time period expires, making "news" even more stale.

St Helens
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

Superb answer. Thanks. I only wish I could get Trip Advisor to reply as they have got this so wrong. Sadly I have wasted 30 mins trying to find a way to contact them but I have given up. All the routes recommended do not allow a message to be sent to them - they only want me to read a pile of irrelevant previous posts. Lazy for a company that relies on feedback

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,359 posts
132 reviews
3. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

Hi tomberkel

>>Sadly I have wasted 30 mins trying to find a way to contact them but I have given up.<<

All you had to do was ask! Most folks ask for contact help over on the Support forum, but we can tell you here on the HUMTAB! forum.

Either start at the Help Center main page "Contact Us" in the upper right or start here: www.TripAdvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Follow the drop down menu or choices to the correct department. Any time you get a text box, that's a "direct contact." As your topic seems to be related to reviews, I recommend following the topics to the Review Staff.

=> “Remove / Edit Review”

=> change to “Questions about Guidelines”

=> {text box}

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

I'm one that doesn't have a problem with the waiting period between reviews. TA's chosen time frame is 1 month for restaurants and attractions, 3 months for hotels. These waiting periods prevent small numbers of regular customers from influencing the rankings too heavily (not that the ranking system is all that good to begin with, but that's another topic). It also prevents readers from seeing continuous reviews from the same member.

The other side of it is that hotels really don't change all that much that quickly, generally speaking. If the new experience is so different from the first, to the point where a new review is necessary, then you have two options. You can type your review into a Word document and post it after 3 months have passed. Or, if you feel it is no longer relevant, you can delete your old review and resubmit.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
142 reviews
5. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

It's Trip Advisor Site and their Rule. Which is good rule as #4 post mentions.

One review only and no info. Of much help is suspect as management/ owner etc.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,095 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

>>It's Trip Advisor Site and their Rule.<<

Up until mid July of 2010, it was TA's policy to only allow one review per user, per accommodation. I think this compromise is much better, and the limitation make sense.

Best Regards

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,609 posts
1,800 reviews
7. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

We stay at many of the same properties, and often weekly.

I also write Reviews of many, but agree with the time element.

Now, I do photograph my rooms, and will upload those, with the Room Number in the Caption, to help others decide which rooms might suit them, but only do Reviews within the TA time constraints. Same for restaurants, etc, and feel that the timing aspect is fine, though that might just be me?

Good luck,

Hunt

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,909 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

Hello Bernard

Your review, entitled "Bernard Kelly" , referring to your stay in September 2016, was published on January 21st 2017, presumably just after it was written.

TA limits hotel reviews to the 3 month rule for, IMHO, their own good reasons, and I very much doubt they will be prepared to change their stance.

9. Re: Trip Advisor Policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2018, 11:47