We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Age banding

Crete
Level Contributor
2 posts
305 reviews
Age banding

Hi, you offer the ability for users to split reviews between couples, business etc. I think that it would be very useful to also have an age banding split, for example under 25, 30 to50, over 50. This would help travelers see the views of people in their age group who may have very different preferences from someone 30 years different in age.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,168 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Age banding

A fair suggestion IMO.

Though there are plenty of party going 40 and 50 somethings out there. 😉

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Age banding

Not that I disagree with you, but we already give this information on our profile. If anything, TA should automate your idea. Personally, I have no interest in re-entering this information every time I post a review. However, I have no problem with it being displayed.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Age banding

I have nothing against the idea, but just like everything else on TA, it relies on the truth being submitted by anonymous persons. I know of quite a few people on the forums who don't have their accurate age range displayed.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,123 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Age banding

haha Lots of resistance to this idea of delving into people's ages. Many members want to remain completely anonymous and will not give their age or gender. They may even enter a fictitious location under the avatar. If those people were forced to choose an age group when they write a review, it may not be their real age group.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,268 posts
478 reviews
5. Re: Age banding

I am one of those people! All I will say is that I'm over 60, lol!

I don't object to the idea, but I can't see that it will have much practical use. At best, it would give a rough idea of a reviewer's age if banding is used, and given that people's interests, preferences and travel styles aren't always going to be age dependent as mentioned, I have to question how much value it would add.

To be honest, I'd rather remove all of the superfluous fluff like Couples, Business etc and leave people to put relevant info in the text if they want to.

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: Age banding

The "fluff" doesn't bother me as long as it's optional, but people get a bit ridiculous over it. E.g. all the people wringing their hands over the lack of a "family w/ adult children", "family w/ adults only", "family w/ seniors" - good grief.

At some point you can put way too much stock in this stuff.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,268 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Age banding

That's why I don't take any notice of all that stuff. At least if it was gone there would be nothing for anyone to be wringing their hands over :-)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,609 posts
1,800 reviews
8. Re: Age banding

I am with RojBlake, in that I never check into those markers - I fill them in, to the best of my ability, but never read them.

As to the requests for categories, that cover all possibilities, I find them amusing - absurd, but amusing.

Hunt

9. Re: Age banding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2018, 10:46