We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crystal cruises

Chicago
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
crystal cruises

Thinking of taking a Crystal Cruise (Serenity). comments on food, drinks, accommodations?

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crystal cruises

Crystal is cruising at its very best. We sailed on the Harmony some 3 years ago and have fond memories of the trip.

Our state room was spacious and luxuriously appointed, the food was the best I've tasted on any cruise, and drinks? What do you need to know about drinks? From what I recall they were no more expensive than on Princess.

The whole experience was one of 'Harmony'. Sadly this ship is no longer part of the fleet.

I hope you enjoy.

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crystal cruises

Drinks: reasonably priced, but unlike some of the other luxury brands, they do cost extra if alcoholic -- all booze-free drinks, including specialty coffees , soft drinks, etc. are free throughout the day.

Food: It has improved a great deal lately in the main dining room. The specialy resaurants (no additional cost) have always been quit good. Main dining room is two fixed times/assigned tables. Some like this, some don't. If you are unhappy with the table and/or tablemates and quick word will get you reassinged.

Full meal room service (from any of the dining places) is only available for Penthouses\ or, so I have been told. The only room service we've ever used is coffee, etc.

Rooms: The staterooms are small compared to the other luxury brands. Well appointed, reasonably well laidout, though. The plublic spaces are very nice, in general (although the design of the piano bar on the Serenity is stupid). Lots of space per passenger so even a full ship does not feel crowded.

Paul

Kent UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crystal cruises

May I also suggest that you look at Regent. Voyager and Mariner have spacious all-balcony suites as standard and all drinks (including alcohol ) are inclusive. No-tipping policy and a high staff to guest ratio. Excellent food and well worth a look if there is an itinerary which suits you.

durham, ct
Level Contributor
167 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crystal cruises

Did you end up on the cruise? My sister and I are going on the serenity ina few weeks......would love to hear from you. Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
40,864 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crystal cruises

Champion -- we cruised on the Symphony last fall. It was great being on a smaller ship -- lots of room for all. Staterooms were very well designed. Food services were excellent, although I found some of the selections a little too exotic for me. But there are so many options in the dining room and the other venues - not really a problem. Casual dining upstairs in the evening was disappointing. Speciality restaurant (Italian ambiance) was wonderful. We didn't try the special chinese restaurant.

The stage shows were as second-rate as any other cruiseline -- although they DID have two guest artists - a vocalist and a pianist - who did separate concerts. Both stayed with us for the entire cruise and both were extraordinary.

Service was very good, with only one major goof (staff abandoning the front desk for a 1/2 hour meeting while dozens stood in line).

So we liked the cruise and the numerous little extras. However, apart from the fact that the ship only took about 950 passengers - we didn't see a quantum leap in quality above HAL.

This is a very expensive cruiseline. I would not be able to justify the cost for a future trip -- given the quality one can find on HAL and Celebrity. It was their itinerary to Eastern Canada that drew us to Crystal.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
198 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crystal cruises

It is truly amazing just how full of ourselves some of us are. Imagine advertising your complete lack of sense in this manner. It's like buying a Bentley. No skin off my nose though. We recently took a trip on Crystal's Serenity. Very high prices for mediocre luxury. Way overpriced and , like the guy with the Bentley, full of themselves. Your Ms. Brown of Cruise Critic "banned me for life" from that site for having the temerity to tell all and sundry that the Crystal Emperor has no clothes. You wouldn't believe the reaction from the bleachers of Crystal lovers. No one wanted to hear it. I felt like the Pope at Mecca during Ramadan. Anyway, you will not get your $$$ worth with Crystal for many reasons.

7. Re: crystal cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 02:47