We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival spirit Sydney

Sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Carnival spirit Sydney

Hi my family of four will be travelling on CS in May 2014. Can someone please advise us if there are extra charges for drinks onboard & is it safe to drink from a tap onboard the ship. Is it correct that the buffet area open 24hrs daily. When travelling with kids, we always make sure they have snacks every now & then.

Much appreciate if someone could help with these questions.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

We are also going in May, with a family of 4. Wondering if anyone has used the late night babysitting?

We have also been wondering some of the same questions as Katie!

Edited: 06 March 2014, 16:25
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Any alcohol and soft drinks, bottled water would have to be paid for on board.

I haven't been on CS, but I know on other lines you also pay for specialty teas and coffees otherwise there should be a water cooler fountain and free instant coffee and tea in the buffet area

And yes, ship's water is drinkable. I prefer the taste of filtered or bottled water so always take a slab of water on board - bottled water on board other lines costs around $2-2.50 per 600ml bottle and around $4 for 1 litre.

Sorry Tammy, can't help you with the baby sitting issue.

If both of you look to the right of your screens you'll see the top Questions. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and you'll find some Australian / NA cruise reviews and a good thread about hints and tips for first time cruises - "things I wish I knew ..." - you might find you have more questions after reading that !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Hi Katie,

I am cruising on Carnival Spirit in 5 days now (yippee!) and after much research can answer a few of your questions:

Drinks are an additional cost. They have a 'Bubbles' package which includes soft drink and juice, it needs to be purchased on your first day of boarding and costs approximately $7 per day per person. There is no alcohol package available, beer costs approx $8-9ea, wine starts at $30 per bottle and cocktails $10.50. Tea, coffee and lemon squash/cordial is available all day free of charge. Juice is available free on the breakfast buffet in the morning. Water (tap) and ice is available all day.

The full buffet is set times, as is the main dining room, however pizza and ice cream is available 24 hours a day from the buffet free of charge. Room service is also available 24hours a day at an additional cost.

You can take on board 12 bottles of water or soft drink (600mls or less) per person. Any alcohol taken on board will be taken off you and kept until you disembark.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Re CS Dining & Food Baby Sitting.

The ships DF shop sell a limited range of snack foods {Chips chockies etc} but they are not open when in port {Usually 9am till 10.00pm sea days or after the ship has left port till around 10 ish}

You can get food for free 18 hours a day, {6.00 am till 12 midnight} but you may have to move around a bit as one closes others open.

Re "Late night baby sitting" We haven't used it as such, but as we understand it. It operates till around 1am were they tuck the little kids into bed for you ..if there is a drama you have like a pager thing were you get an "alert"

Hope this helps...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Re CS Dining, Food, Baby Sitting.

Sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Thanks Doug, your info really helps.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

BUFFET - as mentioned, it is only open at the main meal times. The sandwich bar/Deli is open during the 'closed' periods though (ie. between lunch and dinner) and they will make any sandwich for you, which was great as I had a 3 YO with me so her afternoon snack would be a cheese sandwich.

They also have a burger bar on the outside of the buffet near the pools, this is open between lunch and dinner and they have a range of fresh grilled burgers, chips and a small selection of burger toppings and salads (coleslaw, potato salad), so some days I would give 3 YO potato salad as a snack too.

BABYSITTING - Late night babysitting was in the kids club only, not staterooms. We used it once and it was fine. DD actually had dinner with kids club as normal and then stayed there for their normal nightly activities, and then after 10pm I think we paid $8 p/h and they minded her for 1.5 hours in the kids club. When we got there a bunch of kids were watching a movie and our little one was fast asleep next to them with her head on a pillow and a blanket over her. One of the Carers actually had to pick her up and carry her over to us as she was so fast asleep they couldn't wake her up easily - so the kids are very well taken care of.

WATER - I had heard and read that the tap water is fine to drink as it is all filtered, but to be honest, I went to fill a drink bottle up with the tap in the sink of our bathroom and the water came out brown at first, then after a little while of running went to clear! I would fill the water bottles up in the Buffet area. Also on the pool deck near the toilets (and chess set) they have the water fountain you can drink from and I would use these as well as they were actually colder than the water from the machines in the buffet.

DRINK CHARGES - soft drink and juices are a few dollars, wines $7.5+, beer $8+, cocktails $10.50+, spritis $8+, standard Aussie bar prices really

Sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Hi All

Thanks for your info, it really helps.

Cheers

Katie

Windsor, Sydney
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Hi Katie Z

There is 24 hours pizza, ice cream, coffee, tea, water and lemonade (more like a lemon cordial)

available on Liddo Deck outside area and in buffet area. Also 24 hour room service which is very cheap.

You can purchase a bubble package on the first day for $7 per adult around $5 per child which we did I thought it was great value when you consider it all day and night in any restaurant and bar. They open all soft drinks in front of you out of cans not the horrible tap stuff you can get all the popular flavours as well as lemon lime and bitters and ginger ale.

We chose to eat breakfast in restaurant on sea days and buffet on port days. Lunch they is a lot of choices restaurant, buffet, outside grill and Fat Jimmy's (yum).

I went on The Carnival with my friend and her 14 years son he had an amazing time meet lots of friends.

The Spirit is kid friendly we had over 800 children on board but it didn't feel like it but then I work in a school....lol...love seeing kids enjoying themselves.

Lots to do on the ship or just sit back and do nothing.......loved the whole experience.

Sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival spirit Sydney

Hi All

Thanks for your info, it really helps.

Cheers

Katie