We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

Pottsboro, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

We are new to cruising, mainly because we don't like to dress up for dinner and consider vacation time to be down time. I ran across this trip and thought it would be a good test to see if we enjoy cruising. Has anyone been on this trip or on this ship? I can't seem to find anything recent about the ship. The reviews I find are all three to four years old.

We just got back from an awesome trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize and want to be back on the water.

Suggestions or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

Haven't been on this ship but my aunt works for NCL and I've been on about 13 NCL cruises. They pride themselves in their "Freestlye Cruising" which means you eat what you want, and dress how ever you'd like. They don't want to tell you what to do, they just want you to be relaxed and enjoy. I plan on going on this ship in Sept. 2008. If you are looking for down time...NCL is your best bet!

Houston
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

We are actually sailing on the October 20th sailing this fall. In speaking with a couple of the cruise co-ordinators the agents were very helpful. They said they had sailed RC, Carnival and NCL and that the food in the "included" restaurants is the same as on the other ships... you don't "need" to go and pay extra for those speciliaty restaurants unless you really want to. She also said that the ability to eat dinner anytime between 5-10pm is great especially when you are in port. You won't be rushing to make your dinner call. Plus not having to dress in a specific style is really kind of nice. We shall see though. We got a great deal. I'm looking forward to being able to compare the three lines...

Cumming, GA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

Go back to the home page and click on "cruises" and then "cruise reviews". This cruise has gotten horrible reviews. I'm guessing that it's because this ship JUST got moved from Hawaii to the Bahamas but I would definitely read those reviews first. We are definitely not taking this ship after reading what the reviewers had to say.

Lake Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1 post
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

We just got back from a 4 day cruise on Norwegian Sky to the Bahamas. (Jan 2009). The weather wasn't great for our trip and the water temp is on the cool side. The day we were to go to the private island, the sea was too rough to transfer from the ship to the island. However, we had a very nice time. This was our 5th cruise - our first on Norwegian. The ship was nice. The freestyle dining is good for dining when you want, etc. I did miss meeting people at the more traditional dining settings, but this was good too. The food was good. The service in the dining room was a little slow at times. The entertainment was good. Our experience was much the same as we've had on other ships - good overall. No need to spend money on the special restaurants - the main dining is fine. For the money, I'd say this is a very good deal. We've stayed in all kinds of rooms from large suites to regular balcony rooms to oceanview rooms and even small inside staterooms. THe last two cruises (including this one) we stayed in an inside cabin. It's small, but we spend very little time in the room. We only paid $120 per person for our cruise. That's hard to beat. We never booked any excursions and were glad we didn't due to the weather. It's easy to get around on your own and you can always book things directly from the vendors if you want to do something. Enjoy your trip. I hope this information helps.

Rochester, NY
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

I sailed in October 2008 with my husband on the Norwegian Sky. We did the 3 day Bahamas from Miami cruise. Neither one of us had ever been on a cruise before so we didn't know what to expect. We have, however, travled throughout the caribbean. We both enjoyed the cruise very much. One reason I had avoided cruises in the past is because of dressing for dinner and sitting with strangers. The atmosphere was casual, but the ship was clean and decorated nicely. The rooms are small, but cozy. We had a balcony room which we enjoyed. It was nice waking up to the sunrise or watching the sunset from our room. It is an inexpensive cruise, so I believe many people who don't usually take cruises join this one. Therefore, you may see more children and singles. My only complaint was the buffet. It wasn't very good and it took a long time to get our food. We only ate there the first night. Afterwards, we ate at the restaurants which were very nice. Nassau was a lot of fun. My husband and I walked through some of the shops, then we took a taxi over to the Atlantis. After walking around the resort and seeing a couple of the exhibits (that are free), we walked next door to the public beach. It's a very nice beach. There's a small bar on the beach where you can get cold beer (cans). We did not get to the private island because of the weather on the 2nd day, but that was ok. We had fun on the ship. Two of my girlfriends and I are taking the same cruise in October. I'm sure we'll have a great time.

Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

We took the Norwegian Sky on the last week of January 2009 for the 4 night Miami/Bahamas cruise. It was our first cruise. What convinced us to go with NCL? Great prices - a balcony stateroom ($249/pp), the casual dress code and free style dining.

Our room was fine. There was enough closet space to hang up clothes and store our large suitcases under the bed. The bathroom shelving system stored all of our toiletries. The shower space was adequate. There was a small safe. The room was clean, ready when we arrived, and stayed clean with plenty of towels available the whole trip. We were able to adjust our thermostat to be comfortable. Loved the balcony - definitely would get it again. Our room stewards did a great job and were very courteous.

All three days we were able to go ashore as planned. The weather was great. The water was beautiful. The first day our excursion was cancelled; the alternate was nice but not what we preferred. Our excursions on the other two days more than made up for that - really enjoyed them.

The buffet food was good and the restaurants were great. There was plenty of tables for two, four, large groups in all restaurants. The first night we had slow service but great food and attentive waiter, it was just a long wait between courses. Every other meal was fine - no delays and good food.

Our group (four of us) were seated immediately no matter what time we arrived except once when we were given a pager and told we could go where ever we wanted onboard. It was only 5-10 minutes before the pager went off.

Dress code was perfect for us (we were looking for casual). We felt comfortable wearing good jeans/khakis with nice shirts/tops to dinner. There were plenty of diners in the restaurants who dressed casual and plenty who dressed up so it seemed everyone could feel comfortable doing their own thing.

The shows were fun and professional. We knew from the reviews to eat late if we were going to the shows and that worked out great. There was plenty of available seating at all the shows we attended.

Boarding and disembark went smoothly. There wasn't a high security level at the time we cruised so that probably helped. I think we were on and off board in less than 15-20 minutes maximum.

It was a great fit for us and we would do it again anytime!

7. Re: Norwegian Sky 4 day Bahamas From Miami ???'s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 22:47