We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes from Greece to UK

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cigarettes from Greece to UK

Hi I'm flying to Zante in a few days and I'm planning on bring back some alcohol and cigarettes. Mainly for myself and maybe for family.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I believe I can bring back 800 Cigarettes, 1KG of rolling tobacco and 10 litres of spirits? Not just 1 but all 3?

But obviously 10 litres of spirits will put me over my luggage allowance and I'll be forced to upgrade my luggage. So to get around this could I post cigarettes and spirits back to the uk from Greece via post or foreign couriers? Maybe a pack or two per envelope. Or even a parcel. Additionally I've been told that those limits are actually guidelines and you can bring back as much as you want before they suspect you of selling products.

Any advice or experiences would be extremely helpful thanks.

28 replies to this topic
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

I've frequently shipped cases of wine back from France. However this was always done by the wine shop.

Shipping a large amount of spirits and cigs might just get the attention oh HMRC. True, in theory there are no real limits to what you can import; just reasonable personal consumption.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,616 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

Well, at the moment we are still, with Greece, full members of the European Union, and there is no limit on the amount of alcohol and tobacco products you can take between two EU member states, provided:

1) The duty is paid in the country of purchase;

2) it is all for your own consumption, or is a gift for someone else. You must not be paid to bring it back for someone else, even in kind.

In practice, large amounts of alcohol and tobacco products being brought into the UK may attract the attention of customs officials who still have the right to question you if you bring in above a certain amount (this is where the guidelines come into play). Also you have identified another issue, the effort and cost of transporting large amounts of such goods, especially alcohol.

Edited: 21 June 2016, 16:02
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,507 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

by the time that you pay for courier or postage, you probably wont save much, so i would just pack lightly on the way out, and then cut down a bit on what you want to return with.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

It is not practical to bring back lots of spirits. They are too big and heavy.

You can buy cigarettes in supermarkets at the same price as at the airport. Buy enough to fill any space in your hold luggage. Then buy as many as you can afford in the airport shop, after you have checked in and gone through security.

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

We are regular visitors to Greece most years for our holidays and to be honest you can buy alcohol cheaper in the UK than in Greece.As for your smokes,the customs very rarely bother with flights returning from Greece as the profit margins for bringing in large amounts of tobacco are slim compared to non-eu countries.

But to err on the side of caution it's best not to bring back lots of various brands as this would not look like for your own use if the customs were to pull you over.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

Thanks everyone very helpful anyone know any prices? Say 1L of vodka and cigarettes?

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

going to kos in summer 2017 hoping to bring some

cigs back for personal use not sure how many to bring home to England les g

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,928 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

https:/…arrivals-from-eu-countries

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,507 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

have you read the topic post? the op was good enough to state the allowances.

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cigarettes from Greece to UK

Another one who can find the forum but can't read back a few posts ...amazing.

Reply to: Cigarettes from Greece to UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted