We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

Hi, I know that the premium economy seating arrangements with Virgin Australia are changing. I have read that they will be reducing the numbers from 40 to 24, but this is still not yet available.

For those who have sat in premium economy before, if there are only four rows (of 2, 4, 2 seats), would you opt for the first row? Is there decent leg room and how are the entertainment screens like? The reason why I am asking about seats in the first row is the fact that, no one in front can push their chair back, but do you end up compromising anywhere, as a result?

I have tried looking at seatguru, but they still have the current seating plans, not the new reduced premium economy seating arrangements.

Many thanks for any help! :)

44 replies to this topic
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

We flew premium economy on Virgin.. Vancouver to London.. three years ago ( when they were still doing Vancouver.. ) .

We booked front row seats ( bulkhead) on way there and row behind on way back ..

We really liked our front row seats.. you do not have a foot rest..so the steward brought us these stiff foam leg rests.. really comfy .. Flight on way back was also fine.. but really really liked those foam leg rest thingies..

UK
Level Contributor
234 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

Joan1..OP is referring to Virgin Australia rather than Virgin Atlantic.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

I also like to choose the bulkhead for the same reason; no recliner in front. The legroom is still fine, at 6'5" I notice. The biggest drawback I find is the entertainment screens. The screens come out of the armrest and turn up in front. They get in the way a bit and they never seem to stay in place, just fall slowly with gravity. For me the pluses outweigh the entertainment screen 'issues'.

[I've never seen a foam thingie on Virgin Australia]

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

oops... sorry..

Sydney, NSW
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

I flew Virgin Australia Prem Econ VA 1 SYD to LAX back in September 2015. At 6ft6 and after my last long haul flight in economy I said to myself, no more!. After much research we decided to pay the extra and fly Prem Econ this time. Its defiantly a step up from economy, more room, even I could stretch out. Being a smaller cabin, its noticeably quieter, your passenger to staff ratio is much better so service is much more frequent. There is a better selection of food from the menu and the seats even when fully reclined don't impact on the passenger behind you. Would I fly Prem econ again? Yes. as a matter of fact we are booked on a flight in September 2016 VA 1 SYD to LAX and should experience Virgin Australia's new Prem econ cabin with less seats and more room so I am looking forward to the up grades.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

Wow, you guys are fantastic! Thanks for all your personal experiences! We are by no means over 6ft, so, good to know that you guys found it to be okay! We will be going after your dates, cdhSydney_NSW, so, if you don't mind sharing your experience with the flights, then that would be most appreciated! :)

I'm particularly excited about the fact that cdhSydney_NSW said there's not much impact on the person behind! That was my biggest issue on another flight - Person in front's seat was in my face the entire journey (except meal times), which made it very difficult to enjoy the entertainment system (we generally choose not to recline for the sake of the person behind us).

Thanks again, guys, and if anyone who sees this thread does catch the new version of Virgin Australia's premium economy when it's up and running, would really love to hear your thoughts!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

We've flown in Premium Economy with Virgin Australia 3 times now and I really don't want to ever go back to economy!!

This last trip just a couple of weeks ago there was only about 10 people in PE, we were in the last row so had limited recline ourselves ... I didn't have anyone in front of me so didn't have to worry about someone reclining on me but my partner did. The bloke in front just threw his seat back quite abruptly to the full extent and yes it was a little "in your face" but still there was heaps of leg room and by tilting the screen could still watch TV, Getting up was an effort with him reclined right back but still manageable.

My partner just moved over into the seat across the aisle for the trip but I'd be a bit put out if I had to deal with that the whole trip!! I guess only because I would never do that.

I just love PE..... sparkling wine when you take your seat, a choice from the menu for dinner and breakfast, drinks offered not only before and during dinner but Baileys and Whiskey shots after the meal. A self service bar, nice little extras in the toilets, big comfy seats, proper headphones (not those stupid earplug things), a little bag with socks, sleeping mask, lip balm, hand cream, pen, toothbrush and toothpaste. Ohhhh I could go on..... do it, you won't regret it.

Sorry, just realised this doesn't really answer your question re front seat but hopefully gives you an insight into the back seats!! Still way better than economy.

Sydney, NSW
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

No problem. I will post a review of the up graded PE cabin experience in late September

Edited: 22 February 2016, 08:21
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

No, that's fantastic, LarnAustralia! Really appreciate hearing any experiences, as I can only imagine that if you had such a good experience, with the upgrades, surely, it would be even better, so, good to know it's already good now!

That's the only other thing - May be hard going back to economy afterwards! :P

Thanks cdhSydney_NSW! Looking forward to reading it!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)

What do you guys usually consider is a good price for Sydney-LA (or Sydney to somewhere else in the US like New York, although, I know the LA-NY trip is usually economy) return on premium economy? I've never looked at premium economy prices, so, I actually don't know what you'd consider a good deal to be.

Many thanks again! :)

Reply to: Premium economy - Virgin Australia (International long-haul)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted